Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

Addressing flow concerns in a Mixed Reef

I'm trying to address flow concerns in my future reef to be.

I want to try to eliminate any dead spots by having ample flow through the reef. However, being that this is a mixed reef that we're talking about, it makes things difficult as SPS prefers higher flow than softies.

It is for this reason, that I'm at a crossroad right now, and don't exactly know how to tackle this.

My current train of thought is the following:

-90 Gallon with Center Overflow chamber, 1.5" Drain.
    -Mag12 Sump return (-head loss and misc restriction = ~900gph)
    - Closed Loop consisting of Sequence Reeflo Dart (2400gph@6ft):
    * Closed loop will go to 2x Reefrat rotating returns (1 in each rear corner) and 1" Spraybar that will also act as a support structure for the rock.

I want the spraybar to spray out from within the rock structure so that no detritus will build up in there. However I'm worried that a 1" sandbed will be blown all over with that much flow within the tank.

What do you all think?

Too much flow for a mixed reef?
    Will sand be blown all over?
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I think the mag12 return will be fine.....2400gph closed loop on a 90 gallon is gonna make for some turbulent water.

I would expect many LPS and sofites to be bothered by such high flow, but you could probably find places on the rockwork that have less flow then other areas to put them....depending on how you do your rock.

As for the sand being blown around, it'll all depend on where the return lines are aimed. If the water is gonna be hitting the glass anywhere aimed the slightest bit downward, I'd expect a sandstorm.

To give you an idea, my reef is 112 gallons with a mag7 return pump...probably doing 400gph after head loss. I designed my tank with soft corals and LPS in mind. I run one MJ-1200 powerhead in one of the corners that blows along the back glass...if I am it the slightest bit downward, sand starts to get blown around and the MJ is only doin around 300 gph, and my tank is 60" long.....your talkin about 2400gph in 48"..plus 800-900gph on your return......yikes.

IMO, I'd install some ball valves on your returns so you can throttle it down a bit just in case it's too much. I'm sure the SPS will love it though.
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

Yup... 2400gph@6ft... however I have not calculated head loss due to friction. (elbows, checkvalve, etc...)

Then you have to take into consideration that I will be splitting the flow 3 ways. Going to 2 90 degree Rotating returns in each rear corner, and the spray bar within the rock structure.

It may even be split 4 ways... with the 4th direction going through a chiller. However this facet of thought is yet undecided.

If indeed the 2400gph is split by 4, that makes it 600gph per output, minus friction loss. 1800gph of that within the tank.

Take that, and add on the ~900gph from the sump return, and that makes for 2500gph in the tank. ~ 2.5 times turnover rate.

I have the same problem with my sandbed, its southdown and always blowing all over my tank :S

I just picked up a cs-150 overflow to repalce my cs 90, so i'm going to have alot more flow from my return pump (1200 gph at 0ft/hd) so ill probably remove my hagen 802's which willl be a little better on my sandbed
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

Just to give you an idea... my current 90 gallon has:

- ~ 500gph from sump return alternating from back corners with a SCWD.
    - a Hagen 802 pointing from the center to the right front corner
    - a Maxijet 1200 pointing from the center to the left front corner
    - a Hagen 301 agitating the surface from the opposite side of the overflow.

.... and I still have lots of deadspots.

I have a lot of deadspots in my tank too....a whole lot. I'm just now starting to stock the tank with corals so I'll be adding more powerheads as time goes by.

You've got ~ 1369GPH in your tank right now....you're looking at almost doubling that....in the same tank. I still think many softies and LPS will be bothered by that much flow, and the SPS should be quite happy.

That being said, if you do go with that much flow, I'd try and have as many outlets as possible....you'll lose more pressure but you'll be able to direct the water to more areas of the tank.

just my $.02

P.S. Wanna sell me your powerheads?

I like the maxijets better then the 802's becuase they have the flow adjuster on the ends, so you can point it up or down i hate it that my 802's don't have that, not to mention they are the only powerhead they sell at pets unlimited and i paid 60$ a piece.... stupid PU
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

Yup the MJ's are better...but nothing beats a closed loop like tang_man is planning on doing.

i've a mag 2400 on my 90, with the return split 3 ways. the only problem i've had with blowing sand is with one of the returns. it is about an inch off the sand (3" of southdown). it blew the sand around a bit and started to causes some channels/dunes in the sand. i solved this problem by creating rubble zones in the channelized areas. the larger pieces (2 to 6mm) were placed in the channelized areas to keep the southdown in place and provided an area for pods to hide.
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

What types or corals do you keep? and how much head loss on the return line?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast