Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Cool Reef-Safe Angels

I am seeing more and more articles on how a lot of Angels are actually reef safe and that most reefers seem to avoid them as a whole while we really can stock many of them in our tanks without any worry.
    Does anyone have any experience/knowledge on specific Angels (large and small) that would be reef safe? I would love to have an angel (or two if possible) in my new upgrade.
    Albert
    My Photos

I have a Bi Color in my tank. She has been there for 5 months almost. So far she is behaving wonderfully. I wouldn't say I have a heavily stocked reef tank though. (loads of mushrooms, star polyps, sun polyps, gorgonian, candy canes, frogspawn and ricordia). I also know someone who has a halfblack and its fine as well. Hope this helps!

The Genicanthus family are all completely reefsafe. They are midwater planktivore eaters and stay smaller. I presently have a Lamarck in this family and it is a model citizen. Others in this family are called, Watanabi, Bellus, Masked Swallowtail, Japanese Swallowtail.

Has anyone ever had any luck with a potter's angel in a reef? Can get one for a steal of a deal but if it's not reef safe!
    I live in a mail-order town!!!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Potters are a toss up as with all other angels. The Genicanthus family are the only "true" reefsafe ones.

Toutouche is right, the only really reef safe angels are the genicanthus. However, most of the dwarfs are reef safe "with caution". I've kept four now without any problems - flame, coral beauty, bicolor and midnight. I really think that it's the regular feeding (4 times a day) that does the trick for me but it really is a gamble with any of the angels outside the genicanthus family. I know of people keeping the Majestic angel in reefs with no problems too. There are things you can do to increase your chances, like regular feeding, but really it comes down to the individual fish.
    Susan

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Here Alrha,

Check out this thread where I posted pictures of all the Genicanthus sp. family of angels.

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...ht=genicanthus

They are indeed quite beautiful. I'm actively looking for a female Genicanthus Bellus.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I really like the male Wattanabei.
    Susan

Vince, great pics, thanks. how big do those guys get? (and i still dont think they compete with the beauty of the "main" angels such as the Queen Angel, Imperator, etc.)
    Albert
    My Photos

Alhra - take it from me - beautiful fish that cause problems soon lose their lustre.
    Susan

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast