Thread: Cucumber

Cucumber

I see that many people tend to keep cucumbers (Tiger-Tail?) in their tanks to keep the sand clean. do these guys eat life in the bed as well? or just algae? and dont they have a risk of releasing toxins into the water when they die?
    Albert
    My Photos

Alrha,
    Usually it is pretty safe to say just stay away from the brigthly colored types. The completely safe ones are the Tigertail and the black types. They do not touch any of the life/critterts in the sand but instead they ingest the actual sand and as it passes through their system, they clean the bacteria and whatever else builds up on the grains. They then poop out completely clean sand. Also, these good types are called "Moppers" because of the way they use a bunch of tentacles spaced around their mouth to grab the sand and pull it in. Acually..., they kinda look like tiny versions of those monsters in that wellknown B movie called "Tremors" starring Kevin Bacon.

so there is no risk at all with tigertails? cool. how many can i get then? (60x24x30)
    Albert
    My Photos

Alrha,
    No there is no problem at all. People will try to tell you otherwise, but it is not true. In a tank that size, even if one of these did die, it will not cause any problem. I had one die once and it blew out it's insides with no effect at all on the tank. I simply removed it all as I would with anything else that dies. 1 is enough for that sized tank. Mine is currently about that same size and I have one in there. In my bigger tank however, I will get 1 more.

woah, my tank will be as big as yours? that means it can probably be even as nice one day. what is the size of your tank? and are you putting your larger one in the same place (between living room and kitchen) or somewhere else?
    Albert
    My Photos

My current one is 60"L x 30"H x 16"D. So in reality, if your 24" is front to back, then yours will be even bigger than mine as far as the footpring goes, but will be the same size as far as total volume. However, my next tank will be 84"L x 30" or 34" H x 30"D (front to back), and this is around 350gals It will be in the exact same place as the current one.

Just wanted to point out that the food supply for a cucumber can vary from tank even though they may be close in size. In my 120g reef I have 2 tiger tail cucumbers and a black knobby. There's plenty for everyone. A tank the same size that didn't feed as much might only be able to support one. I judge how many cucumbers I need by the amount of detritus on the sand. If there is any visible detritus I get another cucumber.

My tiger tails aren't as effective as my black knobby. They tend to stay close to their hiding places in the rock and just stretch way out over the sand at night but always keep one end at home. The black knobby roams all over the tank.
    Susan

Ah yes.., forgot to mention what Susan just did. Tigertails are pretty much nocturnal only and stay hidden during the day. they also burrow somewhat during the day. The black ones are out 24/7 are for this reason probably are more efficient.