Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LR Size

LR Size

Is there any benefit to having many small rocks as opposed to just getting Larger sized rocks. i know that large rocks are harder to find, but i tend to prefer them as they are more impressive and easier to set up (less pieces you have to worry about falling). I got a 15lb Fiji Rock yesterday and placed on hold a 30lb Tonga Branching rock. I would love that rock, it can be a main centerpiece in my tank (it is huge branches maybe 15" wide 10" deep and 20" high). i wanted to know if it would be a mistake to get such a rock, or if i should grab it. (i also wanted to know what biological effect this would have - is it like sand in which case smaller is better? or not? being that its a branching rock, it still has a lot of surface area.)
    Albert
    My Photos

oh, and its $245
    Albert
    My Photos

Holy Cow!!! for one rock? American Dollars? Are you nuts

I've got small - med - large - larger pieces and I like it that way. Different sizes make for a much more diverse look.

IMO that's outrageous

that only comes out to about $8/lb for cured Tonga Rock. if i buy 30lb of smaller rocks it will still cost the same pretty much (actually a little more b/c it would be $9/lb or $270) so money wise, it works out cheaper when buying one large rock rather than many small ones.
    Albert
    My Photos

liv
    correct me if i'm wrong guys/gals but for filtering power.. i would think the smaller ones would be in your advantage as you get alot more surface area.. as for looks.. definitly the big rock..
    if you already have plenty of small ones.. i'd jump on the chance to get a big one like that.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Yes, but that's for one rock. IMO you could do more with 30lbs of smaller mixed rocks than one large monster of a rock. Is it that it's big or just dense?

When I was buying my lr (nearly 4yrs mind you) I found that buying various pieces at what I thought was outrageous (but what could you do) prices $9.99/lbs and $14.99/lbs was cheaper than buying base rock because the base rock was dense and the others pourous. So a large $9.99/lbs rock ended up costing pretty much the same as med base and the pourous stuff IMO is a better filter.

It also depends on the size of tank your talking about putting it in. If it's a nano then it would pretty much consist of your entire rock needs and that's not bad but it depends on is it pourous or dense IMO.

Personnally I would buy it. When we bought our rock, we bought by the box full. Each box had 2 or 3 huge rocks and then medium sized rocks and smaller rocks. I was expecting some rubble but there was very little. I found stacking the big rocks was easier than a whole pile of medium to small rocks. In fact the rocks in the sump are the smaller rocks just because they didn't stack nice and stable.

When Ivan gets our new tank in, we will be looking for more rock and we have talked about getting a large piece of branch rock as a center piece to mount corals on - well maybe not quite that big. LOL

Like many things in this hobby, it comes down to what is pleasing in your eyes.

Vickie

Big rocks are nice and very handy IF they are pourous BUT people put it in prospective $245 US dollars is about $370. Cda dollars would you pay that for ONE rock?

Besides I doubt at that weight it wouldn't be pourous and paying that much for a non-pourous rock is even crazier IMO

i think i am going to grab it then, its not every day you find a rock like that. at $8/lb its not a rip-off at all, thats pretty much what it would cost even to order rocks by mail - but i have never done that simply because i am very picky and would want to pick out my rocks and not just get stuck with whatever they decide to send me. As far as surface area, i dont think i am losing any as it is a branching rock, not one big round piece (almost looks like a rose bush made of rock) so there still is a lot of surface, and the fish will enjoy swimming through it and all, and its much easier than trying to build tunnels and stuff like that with the small rock. i currently have a bunch of small rocks (which i will put in my sump) and medium sized rocks (4-5 lbs) which with these two LARGE rocks will make a nice display.
    My tank will be 5' long 2' deep and 2.5' high, so i do have room for big rocks. I already have about 130lbs of LR in my tank, so these two pieces will already put me at 175lbs for my tank and should fill it up nicely. i will see then if i want to add more rock, as i would like to leave it open a little for the fish to swim and corals to grow.
    Albert
    My Photos

Alrha - I think I would buy it too. Especially considering it's branching, think of the posibilities for mounting corals!
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast