Anyone use this onyx substrate?

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart....38e+1086900258

I'm think I'd like to use black substrate in my 15gal nano. It comes in the exact size I need and I like the different color, anyone with this in their tanks?

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/show...threadid=32329

i know a guy that has it in his seahorse tank,looks very nice.
    It's not a hobby,it's an obsession.

I have black sand in my seahorse tank as well. A lot of people use it because it shows off the horses better than white sand.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

I can't comment on using it however, don't underestimate the ability for normal white sand to help with light reflection for the corals. The black sand will absorb much light that is otherwise reflected back up to the corals.In otherwords, you'll be losing some light intensity in the tank. How much..., I don't know but I know this is the reason it is not commonly used in a reef tank.

Originally posted by Toutouche
    I can't comment on using it however, don't underestimate the ability for normal white sand to help with light reflection for the corals. The black sand will absorb much light that is otherwise reflected back up to the corals.In otherwords, you'll be losing some light intensity in the tank. How much..., I don't know but I know this is the reason it is not commonly used in a reef tank.
    I don't know if I agree with that. Corals are placed in the majority of instances facing the lights and wouldn't get much reflected by the sand IMO. I've seen tanks were they are so jammed with stuff that you can hardly see the sand at all, in those instances the corals don't suffer so I don't see how black sand would make any difference. (other than esthetics)

The tank in that link IMO makes the corals look brighter and stand out more IMO than a lot I've seen and the added benefit is that if the sand gets cruddy looking (like it can) this will always look pristine. I think this isn't popular in reefs because of the price, so many people take the cheap way out and buy i.e.Southdown and this would be super expensive to make anything but a nano, which is why I think it's not used more.

Cake Fan are you going with this sand because of the look it will give your nano or the price?

The reason I am asking is someone has 50-60lbs of livesand that needs to be sold, but he only wants to sell it as a lot, I can't use that much with the nano I am planning for next month. He said it was full of live and has been in use for 2 years or so. Oh yes the price is good 2$ per lb

Thanks that's a good offer but I liked the color and the affect on the corals when I saw those pics and the color enhancement was re-enforced with the posts (thx guys) on how it accentuates the colors. (seahorses but it works with corals too )

It's pretty convenient that it comes in the exact quantity I wanted.

Cake Fan,

Be forewarned that it's almost impossible to keep the sand totally black. When you add your LR you'll get all kinds of rubble and little pieces that will be impossible to remove. This is a common thing with black sand and people who use it have just accepted it. If possible I would recommend that you add some sand...place your rock...then top it off with some more sand after everything has settled. I think that will be your best chance at keeping as pure as possible.

I don't mind the way it looks....it's still definately black, but you'll be surprised at how much stuff falls from your LR.

Just a heads up...
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

Thanks for the heads up I can live with it getting some stuff on it as you said because IMO it'll make the corals and stuff stand out so much more than the plain old sand AND plain old sand gets crud on that too.

I'll do what you said about adding some sand in after the l.r. >that's a very good idea< and when I do my waterchanges I'll just try to syphone out the crud

Have you got pics of yours? I'd be very interested in some more pics thx

ps. I guess you would paint the back black?