Coral coloration and lighting?

I'm just wondering if I should upgrade my MH's. I currently have 2- 175w 10000K ushios. I have some sps, and they are doing great. My Acro's are doing good to but they lost there colour. If I upgrade my lighting will there colour come back? Or does there colour have to do with water quality? Thanks

I upgraded from 250w to 400w and am definitely seeing better colour in my SPS. I'm sure water quality is a factor but lighting is moreso. Lost colour can return.
    Susan

What about Kelvin ratings? Is that just for our pleasure, or does certain colours come out more in certain Kelvins?

IMO Kelvin can change the colour of your SPS coral, but it also causes you to see the coral differently. MAkes sense??Regardless, I would go with something that looks good for you personally.

The kelvin rating refers to colour. The watts refer to how bright/powerful the bulb is.

I agree with ABahn. Much has been written and debated about what is the ideal light for corals but they seem to grow under pretty much any of them provided the wattage is high enough. The colour of a bulb can drastically change the look of a tank, it's more than just the colour of the corals. Go with what you like personally.
    Susan

What is the difference between 20000K flourecents and actinics? they are both blue, can you just use the 20000K flourecents as your blue supplement, and not actinics?

Just go by the Kelvin rating.

There's a huge difference in actinic and anything else. Actinics are incredibly dense blue, not very bright. You don't have to have actinic but there is some evidence that it does help corals by providing more of that blue spectrum that we believe they need. I like to have my actinics come on an hour before and an hour after all the other lights. Kind of a dawn dusk effect. The fish seem to like it too, they all act differently and know that soon it will be bedtime or breakfast time and alter their behavior accordingly.
    Susan