Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DAN

Best bottom cleaner?

Can any one tell me what is the best thing out there to clean & stir the substrate is ?
    Have the hermits blue & red leg
    astaria snails asorted sizes
    lawnmower blenny
    small starfish (maybe 8 little beige coloured ones)
    but nothing really to work up the substrate!
    Having quite a battle with hair algae on SB along with those anoying air bubbles . Lawnmower blenny dosen't seem to interested in touching the SB for some unforeseen reson. Is ther somthing else better adapted for this job?
    DAN

Time and nutrient control. Use RO/DI water rather than tap water (if you were using tap water :-))

Nassarius snails, cucumbers and fighting conchs do a good job on sand beds to eat detritus. I only have the former since my tank is small (30G).

I thought air bubbles from a sand bed were a good sign that it was working at converting nitrate to nitrogen gas?
    Nick

If you have a deep sand bed, you don't want to stir it up. You can vacuum the top but don't disturb the rest.

I would suggest increasing your flow - at or just above the sand bed. Algae usually grows where the debris lies. By increasing your flow, the debris is kept in the water column allowing your skimmer to remove it. If you don't have a skimmer, I would recommend getting one.

Vickie

DAN
    I'll readjuust my powerheads & if that dosent do it I have a small one I can set up just above SB . also have skimmer going as well! Thanks Again Vickie
    DAN
    Around Here I Have a Verry Responsible Position
    .....every time somthing goes wrong
    I'M RESPONSIBLE!!

DAN
    nickb
    thanks for the reply I never thought of the cuke or the conch the nassarius snails cant seem to find any ,never checked with Ivan though maybe there.
    DAN
    I'M RESPONSIBLE!!

I bought a bunch of the Nassarius from ivan about 2 months ago.
    Nick

DAN
    nickb
    sorry about the delay for reply,my wife went into labour after dinner! guest I'll never cook again,anyway Yes Ihave to go to Hull tomorow morning so I'm going to check with IVAN & see if he has anything that will help with this little problem thanks
    OH ya we now have a new 7Lb2oz reefer in the family(girl)
    :loveit: :newbie: :biggrinbo DAN
    I'M RESPONSIBLE!!

Congratulations!! That's wonderful news. Have you picked a name yet? I'm sure this will sound dilly, but if this is your first baby, don't let your wife over-exert herself (if she's not your first, please ignore). When my daughter was born, I had enough energy to move a van (for the first 4 days) then I felt like a mack truck hit me. Also, housework is not important. Spend time with your wee one, and your wife. The first few days are amazing. Oh great, now I want another baby!

PS: I bought the last nassarius that Ivan had, although the conch that I got from him has been doing a bang up job with the sand so far.

DAN

new first (no,,#3)

thanks sara #3 name ; Stacey Ann, I belive I know for sure Stacey, 2nd part not certain either ann or rose thats debateable I think she weighed 7 Lbs 2 Ozs and is 21'' long A family jewl for sure !!! :biggrinbo :biggrinbo :angel:
    DAN

DAN

the conch

sorry about this sara
    I missed the PS part about the last nassarius &the conch there! Got all excited about the little ones news ,forgot to finish what I had started to do .I'll check that option as well even considered an emerald crab (maybe!!)
    DAN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast