Thread: Spraybars?

Spraybars?

Do spraybars clog up often? How much maintenance do they require? How do you clean yours? Would you recommend one or not?

IMO the only way to get the desired pressure from spray bars is to create back pressure and that back pressure reduces flow rates substantially. It you really want to move a lot of water and direct it in multi currents I would use PVC tubing and T / reducer fitting to create fewer large outputs instead of many small ones.
    Rob

Yes, they will always get clogged up eventually. Ideally, if you install one it should be done so that it can be removed for periodic cleaning. To clean it, you could simply remove it then clean out the holes by twisting something hard in them, or another way of cleaning plastic parts that I always use is to soak them in muriatic acid which you can buy at Reno in the plubing section where all the drain unclogging products are sold. I will warn you though that this stuff is a pure acid and is strong so wear gloves and be careful not to breather the fumes as they can be somewhat overwhelming. Don't worry though as it is safe fort all the plastic things we use such as powerhead parts, PVC, ABS, injectors, etc.... I use it either full strength for stubborn stuff or diluted in water. Soaking it for just 10 or 25 minutes is all that is neededm then everything will easily come off with a toothbrush or similar.

Thanks, I'm trying to figure out the best way of going about this. I'm putting my nano on an island/divider (of the kitchen and diningroom) the tank is 24"long X 18" high X 12"wide (15gal) & I still have to figure out if I build a canopy or ???

I'd like to be able to see if from either the kitchen or diningroom and have the equipement (A/C 150 filter & JBJ ph) on either end.

I'd like to build two islands (at either end) connected small/med l.r. (kind of like a bridge), with one of the islands I'd like to hide the ph and thought of running a spraybar from it

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/show...threadid=31456

similar to that BUT in talking it over with Vickie I've come to the conclusion that I'd need a much larger ph than I'd like to, to get enough power and the other end I'd like to try and build a cave of sorts. (for the intended GSM)

So I think I'll just get a small JBJ and try to hide it *also* pointing it at an optimum place on the glass to give me ample movement which will also be added to (the movement) by the A/C 150 filter. I maybe have to put on the dual output nozzle (this will be harder to try and hide) on the JBJ to get more movement!?

Any suggestions? I don't really want to paint the glass in case this doesn't turn out to look like what I've had planned so I'll have to adhere some black plastic (or pvp) when I see how it turned out.

ps. Thanks Greg for that suggestion, we've had to on occassion use m.acid in the pool to clear it and I know what you mean about it being nasty but I think I'll have to forgo the spraybar.