anyone use Paraguard from Sea chem?

I'm wondering if I should dose my tank with Para guard... my fish had an very bad marine velvet infection & totally wiped out my fish.. now my starfish fell apart (Im refering to the 'starfish lost yet another arm' thread) so I was wondering if I should do something. From what I've learned on this forum, the Oodium parasite can live for awhile, so I'm wondering if it's causing stress somehow for the starfish.
    It could be just my tank is adjusting to being fishless, (I know my cleaner shrimp is going kooky from lack of fish to clean, it's attacking my bubble coral constantly, so I QT'd it.)
    Anyway! I've looked into the paraguard info, and it say's:
    Q: Is ParaGuardô safe for use in marine reef tanks with invertebrates and soft corals?
    A: We do not sell or market ParaGuard as invert safe because it would be impossible to test it with every available invert under every potential water parameter. We have had people use it with invertabrates with no problems, but we have also had people encounter problems. If you decide to use it we stress caution; dose at 1/4 to 1/2 dose and observe how your inverts and soft corals react. If they seem to tolerate the dosing, increase slowly up to no more than the prescribed

sounds risky ..any ideas or experience with it out there?
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

I wouldn't dose that Coral. If I remember properly most parasites don't affect inverts, there is a starfish parasite (I'll try to find it later) but not the one that you are battling.

Has she taken a turn for the worse? How long did you say you had her now?

Hi Cake! I've been trying to research for info on parasites & Corals. I think I know the starfish bug you're thinking of, from what I've learned they can get a burrowing kind of worm that will kill it, but usually it's apparent with dark spots and bumps in the arms.. she didn't display any of those symptoms though.
    I've had her since March, she lost 2 arms about 10 days after I got her, since then she's been growing slowly, (although I don't know how fast they normally grow!) She had two buds were the old arms were, and suddenly she lost one more just last week, then on the weekend she crawled up on the glass & totally fell apart! The pic I post above is the arm still on the glass. There's two of these bigger arms, and the one that fell off is on the substrate, and is much smaller.
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

Oh, how long did you acclimate her and how did you do it? Not to blame you but these guys are extremely sensitive to changes and it's recommended to drip acclimate them from 8-12 hrs some even 24hrs.

Even if they are acclimated that long they don't all make it, if they had a problem with the acclimation they tend to start deteriorating/falling apart and this usually takes some time. Most people think they are fine because usually deaths due to acclimation are pretty quick but this isn't always the case with starfish. They can take up to a few months to die.

Do you have any of her feet left?

oh no!! I dripped her for only approx. 6 hrs. (lunch til supper time) :crap: that probably wasn't enough.
    I'm wondering too.. I did a water change just two days pior to the 'break down' although it was with the usual salt, ph buffer, and water. Still makes me wonder if I did too much, I've been trying to do more frequent water changes since the whole parasite outbreak, hoping to get rid of the bugs & help the remaining critters but maybe the water changes are too much?
    Gee I'm on a roll.. parasites, improper acclimation.. :dunce:

Three legs are still alive. Two are big, the other is pretty small.

pic of arms on June 16

today both larger arms are cruising the glass at the back of my tank. I'm hoping that it's because they're eating the algae back there!

2nd larger arm...

.. squint hard & see the tiny buds at the base of the star arm
    that's where the arms that fell off in March were growing back.

Coral you probably didn't do anything, these guys are notorious for being very delicate and hard to acclimate and even if you had done it 24hrs there's no guarante that it would have survived. Don't go beating yourself up because the most experienced people still have problems with them.

I got a decent pic of an arm!

thanks cake, still I've been trying to be very careful, these are hard lessons when coral/fish/invert life is involved.
    Here's an interesting pic of the arm this afternoon it went right up to the top of the tank, and is almost breeching the surface. Seeing it in person is better but this is the best pic I've taken to show what I'm talking about...In this pic it's much easier to see the tiny bumps at the base of the star. These are the tiny arms the star was growing before it fell apart.