Damn Red Cynao.. Damn it to hell!

Okay wonderful reef friends I have this little problem that has started over the last 2 weeks and doesn't seem to be going away... U guess it Red Cynao on the substrate.  Let me tell U I hate this stuff.  I had a major issue with this stuff about 6 - 8 months ago, but once I got my phospahtes under control and the new lighting all was well... well until now.  What eats this stuff?  I have over 250 blue leg hermits, and a good mix of snails (most likely need more) but I just can't seem to shake this stuff.  I thought the refugium would take care of this crap!  Please help!

Covered by the red menance!

ijo

Re: Damn Red Cynao.. Damn it to hell!

Gordo... I havent had the pleasure of fighting this stuff.. but this link may help you solve the problem.

http://www.aquaria.ca/Aquaria/AlgaeControl.asp

IJO

GORDO, are you using RO/DI water? if not, there seems to be a huge plague in OTTAWA of that stuff,including myself plus now hairalge is setting in![FROM PEOPLE ON TAP] I'm buying an RO/DI unit in JUNE.

CAT

How old are your lights?  I had an outbreak in the fuge that disappeared the next day when I put new bulbs in.  Really gross- I was netting slimy stuff floating on the surface for about 3 days.  

Cherry
    Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.

photo gallery: http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/showgallery.php?ppuser=424

I have beat this stuff twice. I tried everything from increased waterflow, substrate sifting critters, water quality (RO/DI and filtration upgrades).  for me none of these worked.  I then resorted to using Red Slimeaway.  It disappeared quickly and never returned since.  I tried to avoid using chemical warfare on my tank, but I will use if for two things now....cyano and flatworms.  Good Luck

;D
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!