Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPS under VHO

SPS under VHO

Just wondering if 440w of VHO on a 77gallon tank (36inches high, 48 wide, 18 deep) is enough lighting for adding some SPS corals to my tank.

Nick.
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

Cool

yes most definatly. a lot of SPS corals can be kept under VHO
    Its just to find out which ones will keep there color. I've kept many different types in my 65g way back when.

tagging along here as im thinkink of adding a few aswell

ok... so the obvious next question: How do i find out which ones retain color ?
    ======================

I would recommend hydnophora. They are very bright green. Maybe a yellow scroll or pavona (wrinkle) too. Some acros and montis will and some won't.
    Susan

Trial and error, baby- light is only one factor in sps coloration- an extremely important factor, but proper water chemistry and nutrition also come into play. The traditional tri-color acro does pretty nice things under vho, as do many green acros. stylophora, poccilopora and seriatopora (cat's paw and birds nest) will also do ok under vho.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Ummm??? Am I the only one thqt noticed the tank is 36" high??!!!! That's pretty high. especially for only VHO. You'll be VERY limited with that!!! And, you'll have to place them very high up.

I haven't seen a mention of montipora. I've had Montipora Digita grow like a weed under 440 watts of VHO and keep it's color. But like Toutouche says. It will have to be high in the tank. For what it's worth I also had a nice Crocea about 12" below 440 watts of VHO.

ijo
    The purple tip digitata looks awesome under VHO... the whole thing turns pink/purple in our tanks. We also have some pavona, hispida, and caps that do well. I also find we get better colors with our LPS. HTH

IJO

hmmm... i think my tank may only be 48*16*24, plus the 5 inch sandbed so maybe my tank isn't too deep..., 24 tall minus the sandbed plus the lights are only about 5 inches from the water.
    ======================

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast