Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Live Rock advice

I'm getting close to setting up my new 300g FOWLR tank and am checking into live rock. I was planning to get 300lbs of cured rock (likely more as several people have asked to go in on the order with me) but am finding that this may be difficult as most places only sell large quantities like this as uncured.

The tank is in my home office just feet away from where I sit all day. It's an acrylic Tenecor and pretty much completly enclosed with access doors on the top. There will be a completely enclosed fake wall in front of it and it will be vented outdoors from inside what would be the canopy.

I am planning to get some serious rock picking type fish (moorish idol, butterflyfish, etc.) and I'm wanting lots of life for them to pick at. I wanted cured because I'd like to skip the mantis and other nasty surprises and would like to have a nice clean fast cycle like I had with my current reef.

I'm wondering how bad the smell would be if I got 300lbs of uncured rock and cured it right in the tank? Anyone ever do this? Do you think the enclosed tank and wall rig up be enough to make it bearable?
    Susan

I cured 70 lbs of KANAI LIVE ROCK in my tank. I didn't find the smell to bad. There was a stronger ocean smell when you open the box. The tank started to cycle right away. I didn't have to add anything.

I did wash out my skimmer twice to three times a day. With Hot water. If I had to do it all over again I would do the exact same thing.

When I cured my lr (in my house), I found the odor was very noticeable for about 2 maybe 3 days. After that, the odor becomes less noticable very quickly. I did run my skimmer and lights during the curing process and did partial water changes (20%) when the ammonia peaked. Since this happened in my house with the windows closed, I would say it is bearable but would not invite company over for coffee during those 3 days.

Vickie

cure it in plastic garbage cans

FLAME

Out of the replys you recieved are they sure they recieved ''uncured'' liverock? I noticed you asked about uncured liverock which normaly there is special procedures you go thru[arrangments] when you get this rock in.The reason I ask is because god yes true uncured liverock will! stink up your house quiet a bit but better life on it. just inspect it real well before putting in your tank.
    Most of the rock we order is already ''precured'' especially FIJI
    and when you order uncured you normally have to order alot! and either pickit up at the store when it arrives or make those special arrangements I was talking about.

Yes, Johnny, my rock was uncured. I had to order by the boxful and pick it up at the airport when it arrived.

Vickie

Garbage cans isn't an option, 300 lbs is a lot of garbage cans.

CMAN - did you get yours from J&L's? I was looking at their site, $4.19 isn't bad. Glad to hear it wasn't too smelly. Perhaps Kanai rock is the way to go.

Johnny - considering where I am any rock I buy will have to be picked up at the airport. Local rock is usually around $11.99 a pound and the stores carry maybe 50lbs.

I still have some time to decide.
    Susan

Flame Angel, as I'm sure you're aware, you never know how uncured LR is going to smell until you actually recieve it...it goes from the just tolerable to the absolute unbearable (just ask Ivan about a batch of uncured Tonga he got a few months ago - people were moving out of the neighborhood).

But if you have forgiving family members and feel like being apologetic for the first week, you can get through it in your aquarium. Normally, being able to do large water changes helps the situation out, but given the size of your tank, that's going to be much more difficult. I'm not sure how much water would be required to cover the 300lb's of LR in your setup, but I'm sure it's a fair amount. The trick there, is to use a powerhead to continually blow the rotting debris off the rocks and quickly remove it from your environment - but that's a big task considering it's a big tank.

If you have a garage, there's another avenue you can consider. Canadian Tire sells these huge grey buckets (they have two ropes for handles on either side) - I find they hold just under 100lbs of live rock, so you could probably get away with 3 (usually on sale for under $10). The problem is that you'd need to get your hands on 3 heaters, 3 powerheads (although, IMO, strong air pumps work fine, alternating one powerhead to keep things moving around), etc for the 4-6 weeks it's going to take to cure. This way, you can do the whole batch in the garage (if you have one) and keep it a little further away from family members.

The other thing to remember about "cured" rock is it isn't often really "cured", although it sounds like you have a good source (but like you said it's very expensive). Also, just because it's cured, doesn't mean there isn't a mantis hiding in there somewhere:guns:
    Keep passing the open windows!

I Call J&L and waitied for the day the shipment arrived . They then sent it out the same day. It was loaded with critters. The good the bad and the ugly. Still today there are new little things coming around. I think it was $450.00 for 70 pounds taxes and air included. I had to pick it up at the airport.

That night Placed all the lr in the tank and arrranged it . I ran two 802 power head plus a 400g/hr return pump and a 404 canister at approx 340g/hr a heater and 4 no lights for 4 hours day increasing the time every other day by 30 mins. I also drop a double pack of carbon in my sump. I then did a 20% water change about a 10 days in when the test kits all went off the scale.

The pieces were all a good size. Very large yet nice and light.

I was just talking to Steve Thompson. He figures you probably got lucky Christian. You can get it right when J&Ls gets it but that doesn't mean it's right out of the ocean, there can be delays on the other end too.

Like Pubber was saying - some batches come in pretty fresh and others not so good. He said that once when he was working at Aqua Creations they got some uncured in and were getting complaints from everyone on the block.

I'm going to keep looking around for 300lbs of cured for now.
    Susan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast