Thread: Just wondering

Just wondering

I have been looking at pictures of the tanks on here in the picture files. I have a 60 Gallon, with 8 small to medium size fish, nothing that is a huge waste style fish. About 15 corals,2 Anenemies, tons of cleaners. I do a 5-10 % weekly. Maybe under feed a bit, only reason I say this is that it seems they always know feeding time. Seems alot of the tanks don't have alot in them,,,I know I'm a bit over my limit for the size of tank,,but everything seems fine...
    The question is, if I keep up with what I'm doing,,,or should I say,,,,how the tank is doing,,,it should stay like that right?

A reef is not a static environment. It will never stay any way. It is constantly changing, and you should be reacting to the changes. You must be testing water parameters. This is the only way to really know if nitrates or phosphates are building up or calcium, alkalinity and ph are going down. Testing is the only way to really be in touch with your tank- especially if you are new to the hobby--8 monthes makes you new, btw... In time you may come to recognize when things are great or out of whack, but you can only come to recognize this by observing the relationship between good water quality and good looking inhabitants, and by observing other healthy tanks.
    Fish will always rush up for food, no matter how much you give them, it is instinct. For underfed fish, you should be looking for a pinched look on the head section, behind and above the eyes.
    Oh yeah, and have some fun with the hobby, too!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

IMO your right on the money reefmut ... test test test until you recognize what's going on without a test ... but test anyway to confirm you suspicions.
    Rob

When I was new in the hobby I was constantly blaming myself when things would go wrong in the tank. I thougth for sure it was because of something I did or didn't do properly. I realize now that a reef tank is a constantly evolving eco-system and that change is imminent. Not all changes are bad of course but no matter how stable you feel your tank is at any given time the only thing you can count on is that it will change.

I do water tests every other week now to keep on top of changes in water quality. During the first year or so I did them every week because a young tank is more prone to swings in the water chemistry.

Stability is something that we aim for but never really achieve. That's what makes it a hobby and not a decoration
    Susan

Thanks for the advice,,,