Wet/Dry filter in FOWLR?

Hi Everyone,

I had a few questions I was wondering if you could help me with. I am going to setup either a 75gal tank or 90gal tank in the next few months in my condo and was wondering the below questions.

1) If I am setting up a FOWLR 75 or 90gal tank with two monster puffer fish one 10inch and the other 6inch should I leave the bioballs in the wet/dry filter or take them out. I just purchased this filter and also would it be good enough to handle these size tanks. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...308642266&rd=1 In my situtation should I leave the bio-balls in and use a nitrate sponge?

2) If I do not drill my tank and use this overflow how do I reduce or elimintae the chance of flooding. Is there some sort of primer or overflow pump.

3) Is this enough filtration for a 90gal tank
    The above wet/dry filter
    Fluval 304 with media hooked up to a 9watt uv sterilzer on return
    Berlin protien skimmer on the wet/dry filter
    2 802 powerhead filter
    2 more powerheads
    and maybe an emporer penguin since I have it.

4) Is this wet/dry filter anygood?

Thank You
    Terry

In a FOWLR, bio-balls are considered ok as the fish aren't bothered by nitrates as are corals. (There may be some exceptions to this rule and you should look into this to be sure)
    The uv sterilizer may be best used in time of infection as it removes good and bad bactria etc, effecting the biological filtering process in the tank etc.
    The amount you feed and the uneaten left over will determine the efficiency of the filtration.
    I'm sure that someone here will be able to give more advice on the filter you have shown, and extrapolate on what I've said.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

It looks like a good little system, which should do just fine on a ninety- especially if you will only have a few fish. And with all the pumps and skimmer, it's a very good set up. Leave the bioballs and watch the nitrates- do w.c.s accordingly.
    You can never be 100% certain with that overflow siphon tube, but if you have in the area of 800gph give or take 100gph going through it- it SHOULD"T develop an air pocket. You may want to drill a hole in the top of the tube and attach an air line tube from it to the venturi intake on one of the 802s to help reduce the possability of air accumulation.
    Bottom line: nice system! Drill the tank if you can!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

If I were to wash the 1/3 of the bio-balls every two weeks or maybe a month would that reduce the posibilty of the nitrate

No, nitrate isn't produced by crud build up on the bioballs, it is produced by the bacterial breakdown of ammonia into nitrite and then into nitrate. Washing the bioballs like that would only reduce your filtration capacity by one third at each washing, which may cause an ammonia spike.
    If you want to wash the bioballs, do it maybe 1/4 per year or something- simply to renew the bacteria and remove some crud. You should prefilter the water going over the bioballs, your wet/dry allows for this with that tray on top of the bioball section for holding a sheet of prefilter material.
    Nitrate buildup is directly related to the amount of food added to the tank and your w.c. regimen. Food raises nitrates- ya gotta feed, w.c.s reduce nitrates- ya gotta do w.c.s. The skimmer helps some, but w.c.s are essential.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

how do these look instead of bio-balls

http://www.aqua-medic.de/

look for multi-ball and bactoballs