Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trap needed

Trap needed

Can anyone help me out on this. I need to catch a nocturnal crab that's living in my tank. He just killed my beautiful Squamosa clam. Marinescape don't have any traps right now. I even humbled myself and went to Aquarium Services, and they don't carry them. I fear for the safety of my Crocea and Gold Maxima. Of course, I want to buy another Squamosa, but don't dare until I rid myself of the intruder.

I will buy or borrow a trap if anyone can help. Marinescape said they would take the little bugger, because some people come in and ask for pesky crabs like that sometime. They'll stick him in a sump until someone asks for him.

That's too bad..

I'm looking for a mantis trap too.. if any are available for borrow/rent/purchase.

Thankfully mine hasn't touched the clams, or anything I can see.. I might be loosing some small hermits, etc. but can't tell yet. Not 100% sure if it's mantis or a pistol.

Good luck!

Fishysan ><>
    ---
    180g display main floor, 150g trough, 75g, 20g in basement
    SPS, LPS, softies, many clams & 14 fish
    main: 250w AB DE HQI x 3, 5' x 3 VHO actinic - trough: 400w venki

ijo
    I'll add one of these to the next drygoods order as a lender... if you would like to purchase one.. let me know and I'll make sure to order more.

Ivan

how much are they? Specific for mantis?

I might get one if they aren't too expensive.. have two tanks to trap..

tnx
    Fishysan ><>
    ---

ijo
    Its a "Mantis Shrimp Trap 'XTERMINATOR' " and they go for roughly $20 ea.

ijo
    here is a picture of one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trap needed-neul-xterm1.jpg  

Yup cool thanks, just looked at MOPS..

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart....27c+1058738574

When would you have them in?
    Fishysan ><>
    ---

ijo
    Yup... thats it...I could have them in late next week.

ijo
    Was talking to a vendor and they said try throwing a stocking with a piece of shrimp in the tank overnight. The mantis shrimp seem to get stuck in the stocking. Hope this helps.

Ivan

ijo
    Just found a great post on catching a mantis... awesome info for those of you who think they have one.

[clip]

Wow... Ivy, weren't we talking about mantises coming out at full moons or something? You're not the only one with a mantis problem tonight. The first thing to do is observe because if you can isolate it's live rock den and remove it, that's the most successful way to get it out. Stomatopods do have very developed vision and can see red. I think the best way to observe is to place a very dim light shining into the front of the tank and placing yourself behind it for camoflage. Mantises can't see infrared so night vision cameras might work. I mistook this info before since ours used to stare at me during night vision video taping, where she was probably seeing the dim red from the infrared LEDs or the light on my eye from the viewfinder. Most smasher mantises are diurnal, so they're mush more likely to be active during the day or anytime no one is around. Baiting a vented bottle is a good idea to keep your fish and inverts away from the bait and give you more opportunity to spot it. A small mussel or clam is excellent bait also.

Stomatopods "click" is a little hard to describe but it's sounds very "intentional." The loudest a snail or hermit shell would make inadvertantly tapping the glass wouldn't compare. Likely hitchhiker mantises are usually smaller types like Neogonodactyus Wennerae who are about 3" at adult size (common in Gulf View LR), so depending on what their hitting it may sound like dropping a coin on a table top. Larger species like O. Scyllarus and G. Chiragra are much larger and more powerful. Our O.S. sounds more like someone shooting the side of the tank with a BB gun. It's VERY loud and can be heard anywhere in the house.

Mantises can pretty much hammer away at will so rapid "clicks" are common when den building or shell breaking. Pistol shrimps only use their claw "pop" in hunting and defense so you'll hear much less of them. Also Pistols have a sort of cocking mechanism that needs to be set before each attack.

There are a lot of options for traps, both commercial and DIY. The surest way though is to locate it's hole, remove it and dose the den with RO, high salinity, or carbonated water.

Commercial traps should be baited with a meaty food like shrimp or squid. For some reason I've experienced and heard that they don't like scallop. Traps should be raised from the substrate or suspended to keep your clean-up crew from triggering it. Stomatopods are all swimmers and don't have a problem in the water column. It's a good idea to trap and move pets to another container if they're able to get into the trap. Change any uneaten bait each day and replace with fresh bait.

Manual traps are great if your stomatopod is willing and you've got some time on your hands. A really promising one is a length of PVC with the toe of a nylon or netting tied around one end. Bait the center of the pipe and tie a length of fishing line on the other end of the PVC to quickly pull when a mantis enters the trap.

Canister filters have sometimes worked by finding the den then placing a suction tube over the den opening and leaving it on. Usually the mantis will finally give in and take a ride to the filter. This is a good method if you know where the den is but it's a difficult rock to remove.

Bottle traps... These are either fashioned from soda bottles or baby bottles with their tops removed and inverted as a funnel. With these the same applies as commercial passive traps. Keep them elevated to keep crabs and critters out of them, and any pets that get trapped move them to another container or QT. The problem with soda bottle traps is that the opening is fairly large and the likely size of hitchhiker mantises is much smaller. The closer the fit, the less likely it can shimmy out of the neck of the bottle.

A better one-way opening are the plastic fingers or combs used on commercial crab and lobster pots. These flex to let crustaceans enter, then immediately close behind them. This type of gate could be pretty easily cut into a soda bottle with scissors.

That's a few of them... I highly recommend trying to feed and observe first, because any trap that fails will be remembered by the stomatopod and it may not try to enter it again.

Curtswearing, TPaquarium(.com) has had a nice female Peacock smasher for a while. If you'd like a O.S. you might give them a try. Otherwise give Gulf View a call. I'm sure they could hook you up. Shipping always makes it expensive though. You might also ask your LFSs to get one for you.

Whew... long post... Best of luck with the hunt an' all...

-Rogue

[/clip]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast