Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

newbe with lighting

I just bought a 130g salt aquarium and I will start with 100lb of live rock. Do i need any vho or mh lights for the live rock or anemones? or can i purchase regualr lighting and get vho's or mh later on?

It all depends upon the result you want. Some people cure their rock without any lights, they don't do water changes, etc.

The other extreme are the ones that want to preserve as much life as possible. They run lights, pumps and skimmer as if the reef tank was set up. They will also do partial water changes when the ammonia or nitrites start to climb.

It all depends upon you. Yes, you can use NO lights but expect some algae growth.

If you are planning a fish only with living rock tank, then NO lights are all you need. As soon as you start thinking about corals (anemones), you will need more lights. How much and what kinds depend upon what you plan on putting in the tank.

You mentioned anemones - many of them require high lighting. If you can tell us which one you are looking at, then we can give you a better idea of what is needed.

Vickie

I will be using a pump, skimmer, sump etc...I will also do a water change. I do not want any algae. I will start out with fish and LR at first but i want anemones a couple of months later. Some people told me that light isn't important as long as you feed the anemones(some types).

Cool

an ANENOME should be the last thing on your mind right now.They require stable aged tanks and most [all IMO] require good lighting. your tank will undergo chemical and phsyical changes and you will go thru algea blooms almost gaurenteed.
    take it very slow. you won't need any fish either at this point. get it running and let it settle. keep testing as you most likely will have die off from your live rocks.

mike dont rush it or it will not be fun when fish die for no reason,itll cost you if you rush just sit back and enjoy nature do its job youll love it.

Patience my boy patience. The longer you let things settle and balance out the better results you will have. Back to the lighting issue I have changed or added to the lighting system of my tank 3 times in 8 months. I started with NO, switched to power compact and today added 400w VHO to the power compacts. I dont have a well stocked light loving tank yet but I want to soon so I satrting getting the necessary equipment now. However if I had my time back and the funds to permit it ( the funds starting out is a big thing) I would have got the vho and pc's right from the start., The only reason I never went with MH's is because I got an awesome deal from Aquamann on this forum on his vho canopy. Other than that good luck with it all. Sit back realx, have a beer :beer: and match your tank mature. Its hard to do as excitment and curiousity sometimes win out but its worth it in the end

Mike, my tank was 4 or 5 months old before I added any fish/corals. I cured my living rock and when the ammonia and nitrites came down to 0, I added some snails, hermits, etc. I fed these criters and waited before adding any fish/corals. This gave me a chance to learn how to keep the levels constant and gave the tank time to adjust and become home for many pods and other small criters. I went through the various algae stages (that every new tank goes through) without any worries about fish/corals.

Like everyone says, take it slow. Watch your rocks. You will be amazed at the neat stuff that grows on your rocks. Then when you spend the money on a fish/coral, it won't be wasted because they will survive.

Vickie

mike, if you don't want algea, don't use light during the rock cure-and listen to all of the wise advice above!!
    One thing that disturbs me deeply is the advice you got about anemonies not needing light if they are fed regularly. Which store told you this????This advice is sooooooo wrong that either the person who told you simply lied in order to unload some anemonie or they have such a deep ignorance of reef keeping that you really should not ask them for advice any more.
    Anemonies absolutely must have adequate light- vho or mh- to survive and thrive, unless you go with like 8 no tubes, which doesn't make practical sense.
    Most anemonies are pretty sensitive to water conditions so I'll echo the good advice here...patience, patience and if you ever hear any other crappy advice in that lfs, please run it by us before you act on it!!!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Many of you guys mentionned that i should let my rocks cure. I am buying my lr already cured. Will it cure again in my new tank. I will start with 100lb and add another 100-160lb over time; is this a good idea. My wallet is limited. Also can't i have fish from the get go like a couple clowns, crabs, shrimps. Going back to the anemones; I was told that some anemones do need light but not vho and mh regular compacts will do the job and with some feeding. Can someone explain me all the stages and aprox time frames my tank will go through.

The rock may give you a small ammonia spike, if it is cured. It just depends upon how cured it is. Some stores sell rock that has been sitting in their system a month or so - cured. Other stores sell rock that has been in their system a week - cured. As you can imagine, the month old rock is cured but the week old rock is not totally cured. It is good advice to put the rock in your system for at least a week and monitor for ammonia and nitrite spikes before deciding how cured the rock is. Once you have an established tank adding small amounts of cured rock should be no problem - the bacteria already in your tank will adjust to the load quickly.

Even if you buy cured rock, your tank needs time to become established before adding anything else. Everyone is anxious to add fish, etc to their new tank - but if you can be patient - waiting will result in a lot less problems. Here is an excellent thread that explains what is happening and why we say wait before adding anything to your tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=249112

I have uploaded a scan of a time line for reef aquariums here - http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...php?photo=1073 It will give you some idea of the algae stages, etc that your tank will go through.

Vickie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast