Thread: Curing LR

Curing LR

Hey everyone,

I read somewhere that you should cure live rock in a substrate-less tank (or system)... what's your opinion on that?

Eric

If you are going for a bare bottom tank, then you don't need a substrate. If you are planning on a sand bed or deep sand bed, then curing the rock with the sand will make the sand "live sand". The bacteria and critters in the living rock will transfer to the sand and help your tank become more stable.

Vickie

Hi Vickie,

I actually currently have a Southdown substrate but I am debating whether I should cure my live rock in the tank or in separate buckets. Also, I read if I dip them in saltwater with a SG of 1.040 for 1 minute, I can get rid of any pests I don't want (see http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/g...ral_pagesid=59)

Anyway, I agree with you I'm probably better to cure it in the tank after that dip (Should I decide to go that route)
    Eric

If you ordered uncured rock you have a chance of having corals and different types of sponges and algeas on it. Most if not all Uncured rock is''precured'' at warehouses from were the rock came from. Then its sent either to you as a dropshipment or sent to a LFS warehouse to be further cured and of course you pay for that when you order cured rock.
    I prefer uncured as in most cases those pest are already gone but you get better quality rock. There is a chance that you'll still have to keep an eye out for hairy crabs and such but IMO well worth it as the rock will function better with as much preserved fauna on/in it. I don't recommend the high salinity dip.

I would agree with Johnny. I wouldn't do a high salinity dip, nor a fresh water dip, nor take a clean wire brush (or toothbrush) to the rock. I have read about all of them to prevent unwanted hitchhikers, algae or what ever.

Unfortunately my Southdown did not arrive until a couple of weeks after the living rock. As soon as possible the Southdown was in the display tank and salt water added. In about 24 hours (after the Southdown had settled a little) I moved the living rock from spare tanks into the display tank with as little time as possible out of the water.

Hitch hikers are always a possibility. A one minute dip won't stop them. I've read of people would dipped all their rocks for 10 minutes in fresh water and still had a mantis shrimp.

i think your high salinity dip would be a lot of work and only achieve a possible die off of sponges or corals.

JMO

Vickie