Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

about ricordias!!

do they move like mushrooms?

slowly crawl up rocks??

my mushrooms move from bottom of my tank up towards top of my tank.. leaving behind baby mushrooms..

do ricordias do the same?

cause i have a flourescent green/yellow ricordia.. it is truely amazing.. and i hope it has babies lol.. i want it to split so i can give one to a friend with a large tank!! as a gift..

All anemones will move if they aren't happy. Or if they just think they might be happier somewhere else. They move quite a bit faster than mushrooms but don't leave "babies". Anemones split to reproduce asexually. Be careful what you wish for - anemones can cause problems even if they don't move. In my tank the bubble tips I had just grew so large that even corals that were quite a ways away got stung. I started getting rid of them because they were taking up too much real estate.
    Susan

ricordias are anemones? so they must be fed then??

Jeez, I'm losing it. I read ricordia and thought ritteri. Sorry about that. I was just answering another anemone post and must have got my brain stuck.
    Susan

hehe no worries... anyone else??

I'm not 100% here, but I'm pretty sure that mushrooms are indeed in the same family as anemonies, and will act similarly but much more slowly. They don't need to be fed, though. Ricordia will split, in time, just like any mushroom.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Cool

I'm pretty sure mushrooms are not in the anenome family but are actually CORALMORPHS [forgive my spelling] and ricordia as mentioned need no feeding. cheers!

Taxonomically, mushrooms and anenomes are in different orders which means they are also in different families:

'shrooms (and ricordia): Corallimorphidae
    true anenomes: Actinaria
    colonial anenomes (e.g. zoos): Zoanthidea

THere is no mention in Borneman's book about 'shroom being motile (except passively if their attachment breaks and they float in the current).
    Nick

Talking

thanks for the spelling Nick!
    shrooms do and can move, they will stretch slowly and/or can detach.

My Ric slowly moves/spreads.. if it's happy it attaches & stays. I've never directly fed it/them. If ya want to place a chunk of live rock right beside it, chances are it'll spread to it & you've got a frag! (although they move slowly & grow slowly)
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast