Thread: monti cap

monti cap

I've recently aquired a monti cap frag and was wondering if i need to glue it to a peice of rock. It's currently just sitting on a small grove and seems pretty stable.

Nick.
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

ijo
    You could glue to make sure it does move ... it'll attach itself eventually either way. HTH

IJO

I bought a monti cap from Johnny in Feb. I have glued it to a rock using Super Glue Gel. I have epoxied it to a rock using Hold Fast. The cap is growing real well but still loose in the tank for the urchins to knock over. The bottom of the rock appears so smooth that the epoxy couldn't get a hold (or maybe it was the slime. I gave up and move it when it gets knocked out of place.

Vickie

Talking vikie

don't be afraid to take the epoxy andgo right around the edge of the cap, really sqwish it around the cap and then onte a hole or groove in the rock. It''ll just kill the part were the epoxy is but will not hurt it. Epoxy has to be worked in really hard.

I agree with Johnny. You have to use a nice sized blob of epoxy. I make a big blob and stick that to the rock first pushing it in hard against the rock on the edges but leaving it nice and thick in the middle. Then I squish the frag right into it, nice and deep. Then I squish the epoxy tight around the edges of the frag. Even urchins can't knock over frags mounted this way. The white blobs look bad at first but it doesn't take long for the coralline to grow over them.
    Susan

The last time, I used 2 blobs about the size of a looney and over half inch thick (the cap is now almost 3 inches long). Both blobs stuck just fine to the rock but not to the cap. I didn't go around the edge of the cap. Next time I'm mounting frags, I'll try again.

Vickie

Yeah, you have to really get the edges of the epoxy tight around the surface of the frag. I sink it in pretty deep too, it seems to help get a better grip and doesn't seem to bother the coral any.
    Susan

Vickie,
    The reason it doesn't attach to the cap is because these corals produce a lot of slime and practically nothing will stick to it. If you encase part of the cap in epoxy, it should hold it. Or another way is to gel crazy glue it in place. This will usually hold extremely well and is what I always use for it. With the crazy glue, you can simply put a big blob on the underneath of the coral and sit it in an area that has a rough spot for the glue to grab onto.