Unhappy Help Cloudy Water!!!

Guys I was doing a water change tonight so I used the RO water which was good, I added salt then added PH up to bring it up some. When I added the water the whole tank went cloudy, very cloudy. Is it going to be ok? I have added my aqua clear 300 with carbon. Does anyone know what went wrong? This happened at 8:00 and its still cloudy now at 11:30. The green carpet was the only thing that went in, completely, all the corals, fish and inverts seem fine.

dermp

happened to me once.. add reef builder to new batch of saltwater.. it goes away..

It sounds like a precipitation event. By adding the ph up to the water, you sufficiently increased the ph that when the water hit you tank, it caused the calcium in the tank to come out of solution. Do you add calcium and buffers often to the tank? If so this is probably what happened. In the future, it is always better to mix your salt water seperately from any buffers. Once the new water is in, add the buffers to the tank by themselves.
    I'd do another water change as soon as you can make water and test the tank for calcium and alkalinity levels. If they are off, correct for alkalinity first over a few days and then work on calcium.
    This won't bother the fish, but the corals may stress a bit- and stress a lot in the long run if the imballance isn't corrected- It's not a do or die emergency, though. Don't panic, but watch your levels. Water changes ( without additives!!! )will always help.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Imo it is a very bad idea to add any buffers to newly made salt water. Generally salt mixes are fairly balanced in their mix of minerals and buffers, by adding anothef buffer, you may just throw off the entire bucket of new water, just like if you over dose a tank with buffers. You may end up adding a bucket of ionically imballanced water to the tank- which defeats the purpose of doing a water change since the water change is usually performed to help rebalance the water.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

RIght on I hope everything will be ok. I will do another water change in the morning!!! This is the ;ast time I add PH to a water change!!!

Just a update, when the lights came on this morning, the water was crystal clear and everything is fine!!!!

What a rushhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Good stuff Derm

Don't forget to get things back in balance as Reefmutt advised. A precip event can really knock your alk out of whack, and that will lead to trouble later.