Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What dry food to feed Dendronephthya sp?

I just had to buy this Dendronephthya sp coral.
    And as you know we don't get the phytoplankton that you do. BUT I have found out that if it is freeze dried, even frozen and not live, then then I can import some...(apperently our frozen food is imported..) but bringing in frozen food is too much trouble, so if we stick with the freeze dried or flake type varieties that would be appreciated.

I've read that stirring the sand bed will add some nutrition for them, and that their feeding requirement are fairly high.

It seems to be ok for now, it has opened up significantly since I bought it home a week ago, and want to feed the best I can. Most people buy them, enjoy them, and wait for them to die...

Thanks
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Volume 1, #1 of the Advanced Aquarist Magazine has an article about non-photosynthetic corals: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/index/ THen, find the volume and article.

The stuff I've read about Dendros indicates that they require phyto and may even be limited to certain sizes of phyto. They also need continuous feeding through-out the day. There are a bunch of threads on RC. I don't think you will have much joy trying to use flake of freeze dried food :-(

I also saw some suggestions that the GARF website might have a discussion about feeding dendros: www.garf.org

I hope you do succeed - they look like impressive corals.
    Nick

Thanks for the links, I hope I succeed too....
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

You might want to try Spirulina, it's included in a lot of the mixes and can be purchased very cheaply from brineshrimpdirect.com:thumb:
    HermitCrab

Well, good luck keeping it alive, the track record for dendros is pretty dismal. You could try the ESV spray dried phytoplankton, maybe some of the Kent products- Coral Excell, Phytoplex- they have a few others I can't remember- check out their website. Also Brine shrimp direct- golden pearls, the finest one. I guess you should also be breeding live phyto, too, if you can. It needs very fine foods and will not take any size of flake, or frozen foods.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Just wanted to say good luck Tiffany. These are some of the absolute most beautiful corals there are. I've never heard of anyone keeping them alive in a home aquarium though.
    Susan

Tiff,
    Welcome back from a little Hyatus..., Hiatus..., (aww crap!! However it's spelled.., you know what I mean!!).
    The Golden Pearl size to shoot for is the Active Spheres. I think Dendros & Scleros are the prettiest corals that exist. Unfortunately, no one except for one or two people that have almost lab grade systems set up to keep them alive have had success. And it's not like no one has tried!!!
    As Reefmutt mentioned, perhaps your best bet would to set up some live breeind of a few phytos.
    Other than that, good luck!!
    We've all tried I think at one time or another!!

Actually, I don't think that Tiffany is back - this is an old thread which got resurrected by mschmied.

Tiffany, if you are there, how are things going?
    Nick

Thanks, I was having some success with stirring the sand bed near it, but had to stop as the the nitrates wee getting too high. It stopped expanding shortly after and was removed before it died, about a month ago.
    That was the first and last dendro. Best in the ocean.
    It's good to be back.

Originally posted by nickb
    Actually, I don't think that Tiffany is back - this is an old thread which got resurrected by mschmied.
    Aw geez!! Do I feel stupid, I just looked at the dates and you're right. But wait!!!..., look who's back!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast