Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

RO/DI brand and installation

I'm thinking to buy and install a RO/DI.

Aqua-safe manufactures one and is sold for CAD $126 at:
    http://www.aquariumdepot.com/cart/

Is this good and why is it so cheap when compared with other manufacturer such as Kent?

Also I have never done any plumbing work and is afraid of water leaking results from the installation. Is it easy to install using the needle piercing clamp on brass water pipe?

Do I need to drill first on the brass pipe? I think if it is a copper pipe, then I don't have to drill.

Also the brass pipe is only 5/8" in dia. and is the intake of a water heater, is it ok for me to connect the RO/DI there?

Albert

if you look on ebay you can usually get them for around 80 canadian and 20 shipping, just a thought , i have one and it works great

Pay the few extra buxs and get the 100 GPD. You get it with the 3 gallon tank and a faucet. Thats what I did, much better!!

I got one of these last fall. I also have no plumbing experience. I ended up buying a large needle unit. Installation was not hard once I got over my nervousness. There is no need to drill the pipe - just use the needle. Be prepared for some leakage. It took me several tries to stop the leaking. I also replaced the tubing provided with longer runs of similar diameter tubing I bought at a plumbing store.

One thing to realize is that the rating is the maximum rating, not the normal output. That depends on water pressure, temperature and other factors. I estimate that I actually can get between 40 and 50 GPD which is consistent with what Aquasafe expects,
    Nick

Hi Nick,

Did the needle unit come with the system not work so you had to buy a larger needle unit?

I get nervous now as you said you needed several tries to stop the leaking. What did you do to stop it?

i did the same as dermp and it works great.aqua safe is sold here.

But the aqua-safe unit sold here is only 75GPD. Where did you get the 100GPD?

Albert

1) The leaking had NOTHING to do with the needle value. That worked perfectly the first time and had no leaking. The leaking came from the various connectors and tubes in the RO/DI unit. It was a matter of getting the connections tight enough to seal.

2) I don't remember why I changed the needle value. By memory, someone on RC suggested that the default unit wasn't the best. I just bought a standard one from a hardware store. I'm sure that the one they supplied would have been fine. But, as a newbie, I follow advice :-)

3) The unit I bought was rated in the advertising as 100GPD. It looks like you are considering the same unit but it has been down rated to 75GPD, mostly likely because of multiple complaints that it wouldn't do 100GPD even under the best conditions.
    Nick

Thanks all. Now I have more confidence to try .... of course I still need my wife's permission!

At one point they had 75GPD and 100 GPD.
    75GPD membrane has much better rejection rate then 100 GPD and folks at Aqua-safe realized that. It is ~90% for 100GPD vs. ~95% for 75GPD.
    In the long run 75GPD is much better since your DI cartage will last much longer giving you more gallons of extra pure water.
    I got 100GPD unit but if I can do it again I will go for 75GPD.
    Unit comes with all hardware required and any leaks were solved by pushing tubing a bit more into its fittings.
    It comes in quite plain box so you might be disappointed in that regards but shiny box wonít do anything to what we are looking here.
    I consider Aqua-safe RO/DI unit best purchase up to date and most important part of running my tank successfully.
    TDS meter would be something quite smart to get at same time so you can actually be sure how good your water is or when is time to change filters.
    You can get away with lousy lighting or skimmer but no cutting corners when comes to water quality.
    It is just impossible. Tried that, didnít work.
    Man that goes to bed with itchy butt, wakes up with stinky finger!
    -Confusious

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast