Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coral Survival Time in a bag

Can most corals survive OK for a 24-36 hour period in a bag ? I'm heading to a fish store out of town saturday and wont be back home until later sunday afternoon. The store is only open saturday so I was wondering if I was to purchase a coral (hopefully SPS - acropora) if it should be ok in a bag at room temp until I can get it home on sunday.
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

I've kept corals alive for 36 hours in a bag on three occasions. Each time, I did a "mini" water change after about 15 hours. Why not ask the fish store to give you a bag of water as well and do a water change en route. A partial water change may not even be necessary, but it won't hurt.

cool, good idea !

anyone else know if this could be a problem or if things should survive ok ?
    ======================

hey nick if you need a cooler i can get you some im heading to bathurst this weekend my aunt from fredericton is up so going to visit her might see ya there
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

ijo
    nick.. one thing that will definately kill the coral is temp swings. Use large bags with lots of water... keep the bags stable in terms of temperature... a cooler with foam bits and a heat pack will definately help you with the trip (make sure the heat pack is not directly on one of the bags). Hope this helps... and don't forget to post pictures

IJO

nick im an hour away but if you want you can store the corals in my tank overnight if you dont want to risk it..and if you pay the gas i can even run them back to you in the morning up to you let me know
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

If you keep it in a bag for that long, try to keep the bag moving as much as possible- as though it were getting flow. if you sleep maybe plan to bring enough water so that you could put it in a small styrofoam box with a small powerhead or air pump over night and then re bag it in the morning.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Nick,
    I have never had to keep any in bags that long, but corals being shipped are in bags that long all the time and survive. As Ivan mentioned, temp swings are dangerous as is the possibility of sliming. Some corals are notorious for sliming in the bags and not shipping well. That water change Cuttlefish mentioned is an excellant idea. Perhaps, this would simply not be the time to buy something that is well known to be very sensitive.

By the way, Weeble is what you'd call a "good reefing friend"!!

Would I be correct in guessing that SPS corals would have a better chance of survival than LPS ? I'm not even sure if I'll be able to get anything, assuming that this store wont have much in terms of corals like any other store in NB
    ======================

Craig, any idea what bird's eye carries in terms of corals ?
    ======================

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast