Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Curtain

Air Curtain

Anybody try the "Air Curtain" yet?

I had such fun today. When doing my research about moorish idols I read about the usefullness of old fashioned air pumps and bubbles. Idols, and many other fish, have very high oxygen requirements. While the use of powerheads and other pumps do a great job of adding oxygen through gas exchange through surface agitation, I decided to go for the added benefit of air bubbles as well.

I bought two four foot long "air curtains". This is just a length of extremely pourous tubing with ceramic weights that you can connect to an air pump. It took some time to get it laid nice and even along the back wall but once done it really looks great! I love the effect of a perfectly even wall of bubbles all along the back of the tank. The tubing and weights will be hidden by the rock and sand when I get them in place.
    Susan

ijo
    I used to run one of these on my freshwater tanks... I thought it looked awesome... but I found the pumps to burn out rather quickly... you might want to get yourself a high end air pump

IJO

Talking

not to burst your bubble [no pun intended] : but the airbubbles actually do nothing for o2 in the tank. it is the surface aggitation as you mentioned that does it all. While I to like the airbubbles from frshwater tank days gone by, it can be a curse as those bubbles burst at the surface and coat what ever is above it with salt spray leaving a mess. I was debating adding one strickly for astetics and still might but I think the flow will push those bubbles all over my tank.

Johny, any interaction of air and water will cause gas exchange whether it is at the surface or in the form of air bubbles. There is no question in my mind that air bubbles -with the many, many surfaces they produce- will improve gas exchange. This is not mentioning the huge amout of surface agitation you get from air bubbles bursting at the surface.
    The salt buildup, now THAT"S gonna be nasty. However if I remember correctly, Flame's tank has a lip around the edge with only reduced sized openings in the middle of the cover- so I don't think anything can really escape. Wherever those bubble go to burst, though, it's for sure that they will leave a residue.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

how much surface aggition can you get in one tank? with the TURBELLES she has running I believe that a bubble wand will not improve gas exchange. There was a good debate about this on RC one that I agree with that the bubbles passing from the wand to the surface do not provide any O2 whatsoever to the water itself. If you have a tank that has next to no surface aggition then bubbles will certainly help but a properly setup tank[such as flames] will get no benefit from a bubble wand. 0XYGEN cannot pass from those bubbles to the water.
    I also recall a course in FORESTRY& WILDLIFE I once took were they told me that the only way oxygen gets into lakes is by wave action. something to look further into though. I'll see what I can dig up.

Dont the skimmer help with o2 in water?
    Derik...

Hmmm never thought about the tunze streams messing up my pretty bubble wall. I'm just slowly filling the tank with RO/DI water now. The water level isn't yet high enough to turn the streams on. I'll have to wait and see I guess.

I'm not too worried about salt creep. The tank top is completely enclosed. The access doores are inset about 4".
    Susan

Cool voileton

yep, the skimmer helps a lot because of the turbulence of the water.as does the overflows etc.

If I ever get the skimmer. Jeff at LifeReef wrote to say it's likely going to be mid-August. *groan* Oh well, I shouldn't complain. This is the skimmer I want and I'm willing to wait to get it.
    Susan

J_T
    Will those airbubbles get caught under the edges of the rock, and cause any ill effects? Not sure if the other gasses would then collect in the air pocket? I think that I heard someone mention something like this somewhere. Or I could be mistaken.
    ____
    J_T
    I do Acrylic work

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast