planning around a vacation

I'm taking a vacation for just over two weeks in August. What is the best way to prepare my tank? How long can fish tend to go without eating? Should I just leave a bucket of top-up water for a neighbour to fill? I don't have anyone who can run the necessary tests, so should I do a large water change before I go, and hope for the best? It's a 25g with three fish. Need advice?

Thanks,
    Sara

I'm in the same boat. I'm leaving for MEXICO and not sure how I will proceed. 2 weeks is fairly long without food so I think I will have someone stop in and I'll have portions set out. once a week should be fine. topoff I'm cool with as I have a 25g can with a floatswitch.

Sara, well fed fish can go several weeks without food- in a pinch. If you have someone come in twice a week to feed them, the fish will barely notice. You could slightly overfeed them for a week or so before you go.
    If you have an idea of how much water you loose per day or per week- prepare that amount of water and pre mix the amount of buffer you use in two weeks into it. I assume you will have someone comming at least a few times to look in on the place and tank, get them to add the premixed water with a cup or something. If you dose kw, don't use this when you are gone- it's too easy for a non fish person to screw up. get yourself some Seachem reef builder to mix into the pre made water. It won't matter if this is added less frequently than every day as long as enough goes in by the end of the week.
    In two weeks or so, as long as you are getting in the buffer, the other parameters shouldn't get too badly out of whack- unless your tank is packed with coral.
    Btw, for the food, don't try to get the caretaker to add three days of food at once when they come over to feed- they'll probably overfeed- just get them to add a daily portion. The fish will be fine, just a little hungry when you get home.
    AND...try to have fun and not think about the tank while you are away!!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Why not just get an automatic feeder and put some flakes or pellets in it as well as having someone come in once a week? The fish could survive but why put them through that kind of hardship if you don't have to? I could survive a week without food too but I sure wouldn't like it.
    Susan

They've never eaten flakes or pellets. I'm not sure what kind to try. They've only eaten frozen foods, so I don't know if they'd like pellets. Is there a preference on pellet/flake foods?

Mine don't eat much flake either but they all seem to love cyclop eeze flakes. I give it to them as a little treat now and then. I got them from Ivan here at AC.

They'll eat them if they're hungry.
    Susan

J_T
    If the tank is well established, a 2 week holiday is no problem. I have done it before. The thing that you need worry about is the water top off. I left some RO water out for the person that I had keeping an eye on the equipment. They would put the top up in every couple of days. If your fish are used to eating frozen foods, get the ones that come in the blister packs, and tell the person how many cubes to use.
    ____
    J_T
    I do Acrylic work