DAN

Have a Question on Nudibranches?

My wife fell in love with a Nudibranch at the LFS today .This thing is sort of a brite purple with a brilliant white stripe down
    both sides with a really nice rear crown of dark purple .
    Really nice nudi, but I didnt have much knoledg about these
    so its still at the LFS's on hold !The people their didn't seem to know a heck of alot about this little begger other than it possibly eats sponges they wern't sure .
    Can any one tell me anything or point me in the right area for researching these critters please?
    Or do any of you have one like this or have seen one before.
    THANKS
    DAN
    Around Here I Have a Verry Responsible Position
    .....every time somthing goes wrong
    I'M RESPONSIBLE!!

Sounds like a Blue Dorid. Does it look like this?

They do eat sponges, but only certain types. Ufortunately no one is exactly sure which type of sponge they actually rely on as their food source.

While they are amazingly beautiful, they shouldn't be kept in home aquariums, and definately shouldn't be sold in the pet trade. You would be extremely lucky to have it last a month in your tank before dying of starvation.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

sorry pic didn't work...
    James...

DAN

have a question on nudibranches

CanadianGuy
    Thats the one its a beautiful little critter!
    No point in paying the $40+tax just to have it starve on me
    your quite right about them not being sold for the pet trade
    if the poor little creature is just going to starve in someones aquarium! Its a real shame to do in a creature like that!
    Thans you wre a great help & right on the pic of that Nudibranch!!!!!
    DAN
    Around Here I Have a Verry Responsible Position
    .....every time somthing goes wrong
    I'M RESPONSIBLE!!

No problem Dan. Glad I could be of assistance!

There are other nudis that have a better chance at survival in an aquarium. The Lettuce Nudi is probably one of the best. While it isn't a true nudi, it is a sea slug.

The main reason they're more apt to take to aquarium living, is that a large part of their diet is algae...caulerpa sertularioides(sp?) specifically. As they injest the algae, the chloroplasts are absorbed from the algael cells and continue to photosynthesise inside the body of the nudi...actually in the parapodia(all the frilly bits that give it the name Lettuce nudi)...as the chloroplasts photosynthesise they provide the nudi with sugars that it relys on to survive. I believe it's called kleptoplasty(sp?) So the proper lighting is just as important as having a continuous supply of the proper food.

The sad truth is that even these nudis have a very dismal survival rate in the home aquarium. If you have an extremely well established tank, then they may have a chance. Some people have even had them breed in their very large, very well established tanks. This is quite rare of course, and not the usual result of buying one of these amazing creatures.

Look at them and appreciate them in pics and spend your money on something you can enjoy for many years in your tank instead of weeks.
    James...