Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home humidity

Home humidity

Humidity in my house has stayed between 65- 73 % for the past month. Is it good/bad to electronic devices/house ? My house is a year old and i have two tanks 20g &40g salt water.

I top-off around 1g per day.

Should i get a de-humidifier ?

thanks

I take it you don't have central air? those 2 small tanks really won't do much for humidity and if you have a few windows open then that helps. Ottawa is normaly very humid anyways. I wouldn't bother with a dehumid because if you don't have central air then the dehumid will just run constamtly costing you alot!

Sorry i forgot to mention i do have central air running and have it set (hold) permanent at 23.5 Celcius. I also have the furnace fan running at all time. Typically humidity is measured at around 70% @ 24C for most of the day.

thanks.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

I have a dehumidifier running in my basement to keep the humidity down (otherwise you know how basements can get). The one i have (Maytag) can be set on automatic to go on above a certain level and shut once humidity falls below that (keeps it from running constantly). The only issue is that they generate a lot of heat - in a basement its not much of an issue as basement are generally cool anyway.
    having a high humidity will make your home feel hotter, and it can affect the wall-paper or paint in the long run. but i dont think you tanks are generating a significant part of that humidity, could just be the summer air.
    Albert
    My Photos

YES ... you NEED a de-humidifier .. no questions asked. Your NEW home is well sealed and you MUST manage the air quality. It is most important if you have natural wood floors and or furniture. Everything in your new home from drywall compound to carpet is designed and manufactured to function best between 30 and 50 % moisture content. Your AC if you have it will cool off the air that is drawn in from outside but will only have a minimum effect on it's moisture content. New homes are so well sealed that over 90% of all air introduced is drawn in through the heating / cooling system. When air moisture levels outside start hitting the high 60s your AC unit will only reduce it to perhaps 55%. ANYTHING over 50% or under 30% is considered to be crucial. Using a de-humidifier will make your AC unit work less to cool the dried air. DO not open windows on high humidity days... your de-humidifier can not dehumidify the great outdoors. The above is not theory .. it is FACT.
    Rob

Humidity in new houses seem to be higher for the first few years, all the lumber and foundation are not completly dry out just yet. A/C helps removing humidity.

a new concrete foundation will "bleed" apx 500 gallons of moisture into the air in the first year of drying.
    Rob

Smile

ooppps, I missed the newhome part! definatly there will be a lot of moisture and they say its like 5 years before the home settles. I do tons of painting and all new homes sweat especially in the winter. as far as NEEDING a dehumid,I won't go that far as windows are normaly either open in the summer or the CENTRAL is on which draws water out anyways. he has 2 small tanks and I never heard a builder telling newhome owners to run out and buy one. The basement could be a different story if tanks large enough are located there. winter,well you want some moisture in the air as the furnace drys it out.

I agree with Old Salty One....
    The god range is between 30% and 50% with, not sure but I believe, 45% to be the goal. A tank evaporating into a well sealed house will add extra humidity and only lead to mold or mildew developing if you're not careful. It is a good idea to run an automatic dehumidifier. I too have my furnace fan on 24/7 all year round and it helps to disperse whatever there is in the house evenly. No damp smelling basement either.
    An AC unit has to first remove the excess humidity for it to run efficiently and if you have a very high level, sometimes the AC unit will run a lot more and overwork.

Thanks gents/ladies for the advise. I think i'll get the de-humidifier to suck out the excess water. What would be a good one for 2000sqt house ?
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast