A couple of questions for the experts!

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to just ask some experts on some stuff on my tank. I have attached six pictures 2 are of some mole stuff growing on my rock. Then there are 2 of some spider web kind of thing growing on my big rock and the last 2 are of some white stuff not sure what it is but it looks like some kind of algae but white I tried to see if it rubs of but nothing. I would really aprciate it if you guys could let me know what you think these are and if I should worry or not. Better quality pics can be found here. http://avvid.ca/aqua

Thank You
    Terry

mole2

web1

web2

white1

white 2

I looked at just a couple of the pics and from what I could see the dark burgandy stuff seems to look like either cyano or a type of burgandy film algae growing. Does this dark stuff rub off easily? If so, then it is most probably cyano.
    The white spider web type stuff looks like a type of common sponge.
    The other white stuff looks as if it is coralline that died. When it dies, it usually turns white. If it is hard on the rock and can't be rubbed off, then that's what it is.
    Hope this helps.

should I be worried about any of this is white spider spong is it bad because it is in a few other places. As for that mole thing I think it rubs of and for the cyno I will try rubbing with a scrubber when I do my water change on saturday.

Thank You
    Terry

The white sponge is common and you should always leave the sponges. They are all filter feeders and help to filter your water. It is a natural part of the biofilter of liverock.
    As for what you call the mole stuff, if it does come off and is very fine loking, then it is cyano. You should never scrub this stuff but rather cyphon it off. Also, turn off all water movement devices so that any loos pieces don't float around the tank because wherever it lands it will just continue to grow there. Now, how long has this tank been setup because the cyano is all part of a normal cycling of the tank. As long as it isn't starting to cover corals and such, then you should let it run it's course and let the tank settle in by itself. When you do your water change, you should try using a small dia. tube and suck up whatever you can of the cyano while syphoning out your water.