Putting your reef on cruise control, reefing maitenance tips

This is something that I have given a lot of thought lately, Iím going into my 3rd year of university and every year I delve deeper into the world of reefing, which might not be the best idea when youíre in the middle of a degree and trying to focus on your studies. It seems that this hobby is becoming more popular with the younger crowd and a lot of people are popping in and out of the hobby because of circumstances in their lives.

I see many of my friends start off in the hobby then give it up because they don't have to time to pay attention to their tanks throughout the school year or if they have just gotten married and have kids etc. I thought it would be a great idea to hear tips from experienced reefers on how they maintained their tanks through busy times and hard times.

I know when Iím in school I try to schedule all my tank maintenance into a certain time period each week, that way I can be sure to get everything done and not neglect my tanks, I feed my sps tank golden pearls at the same time every morning before I leave for school so I don't forget to when I get home.

I take care of my two tanks at home, and a tank I set up in a private residence of a local businessman, so I appreciate all the tips I pick up along the way to make the most of the time I have to spend on the tanks.
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

well i dont find that my tank takes up very much time at all (except for staring at it and thinking of what else i can do - and of course when upgrading) all it really takes is to feed it every day ( and even if you miss a day here and there its fine) and o guess change the water when its convenient.
    Albert
    My Photos

My biggest effort was to assemble a large auto-topoff system. I just use gravity, a float valve, and a large rubbermaid container. I can leave for a week without a worry.

My next project will be some sort of plankton reactor that feeds my tank or fuge automatically.

I know what it is like to have "lifestyle" changes interfere with reefing. I have to travel more than I'd like. When I am gone for a long time, I buy some peace of mind by having an experienced reefer come by to check on the system.

I had an autotop off setup running through a kalk reactor but i've decided to axe the kalk reactor and just go with a straight auto top off, that way if it over flows it doesn't kill my tank, just flood it.
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

Been there done that. That is why if I had to do it over again I would get a PinPoint PH controller for my CA reactor. The Pinpoint can control solenoids for high and low PH. That would let you put a shutoff on the Kalk when the PH gets too high.