Just when you think you've seen it all

I was sitting watching the tank at luch time today (as I usually do), and actually witnessed a hermit crab swap shells. I keep about 40 of them, and keep them well supplied with replacement shells, and you can tell that they are swapping all the time, becuase you see them wandering around in the newer (recently added) white shells, but until today, I've never actually seen one change. I watched him for about 20 minutes "check out" the new potential home, and then finally he changes. I always figured they just crawled out of one and into the other, but he acutally lined up the holes as close as possible, and did sort of an "ass swing" from one to the other. Very neat.

ijo
    speaking of first timers... the batch of red legged hermits that arrived yesterday had one crab walking around with no shell.... extremely funny looking if you ask me.

IJO

Did you give him a shell? Did he move in?

On another more "cruel" note, I had a client the other day (retired military guy) tell me that at one time he was posted in Egypt and they used to catch hermit crabs and gamble. What they would do, is hold a lighter to the end of the shell and heat it up forcing the hermit out of the shell. Then, they would take two shell-less hermits, put them into a container and drop in one empty shell. Bets are on which crab out duels the other for the empty shell.

ijo
    I had a bag of extra shells... he moved in as soon as I put him close to the pile...

The things people do for fun... I won't bother telling you all what i used to do with my pellet gun. hehe

IJO

I had a large crab one time make a beer cap for a home. I had a bit of a wild party and someone dropped a beer cap that was bent in half, into the tank. Was I ever surprised when I saw the budweisser cap walking across the LR. He left it within a day or two and I was able to retrieve it. I'll have to dig up the pic....it's a good one.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

ijo

lol... I see marine life is not much different than ours