Thread: Aquascaping

Aquascaping

I am getting ready to re-aquascape my tank and I would appreciate some advice. I am going to be working with ~ 70lbs of LR in a standard 48" 55 gallon tank. Currently, the rock lies low (about half way up the tank), end to end with little swimming room in the front of the tank. I want to create 2 mounds to get some higher peaks and more swimming areas. I also want to have more of my substrate showing. Please comment on this idea if you have one.

My main question and concern is whether it is easier on my fish to remove them when I am doing this or to leave them in my tank? What does everybody else do? Obviously it is not that much work and I should get it done in an hour (I hope).
    Also, if it matters, my fish are a yellow tang, clarkii clown, green-spotted mandarin and a black leopard wrasse. All of these fish have been in the tank for over a year.

IMO .. Taking the fish put and then returning them to a different set up is more stressful then leaving them in there while you redecorate. Just use care to not crush any of your hiding fish while moving stuff around
    Rob

J_T
    I would like one salty dog said, leave them in, just don't squish them. The only other thing that I would do is get out all the filters you have, hang them on the tank, and fill them with floss, and carbon. You are going to end up stirring the bottom a bit, and this will likely cause the tank to go cloudy (which will make it hard to avoid squishing fish)
    ____
    J_T
    I do Acrylic work

Ya that would be my advise to. Leave the fish in and put a hang on filter to clear up the water.

The 2 mound sounds good maybe connect them with a large flat LR.

Joseph

I too am looking to aquascape my new tank (60"L x 24"W x 30"H) which is viewed from the front and from the left side.
    I have now about 150lbs of rock to work with.
    Are there any good books or good websites to get ideas from?
    Albert
    My Photos

Thanks fellas. I've done some searching for that Alrha but I have had no luck finding a good site dedicated to aquascaping. A good site though to see some tank pics is: http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/saltwaterfishreeftank/

i'll take a look at it.
    thanks smartin!
    Albert
    My Photos

I just finished the aquascaping and needless to say, I didn't really enjoy it. My tank is pretty cloudy and the lights are still off so I can't see too much. All but one of my fish are accounted for... my wrasse is in the substrate somewhere... I really hope she is alirght. Everything else is fine too except when I was taking out the rock, I didn't realize my anemone was connected to 2 rocks and its base got ripped a little (1.5 cm). I hope it won't get too stressed. Anyways, I hope my fish enjoy the new set-up. There is lots of dense hiding space. My tank really looks like it has a lot more rock now. Hopefully it will clear soon. I wish I had a diatom filter right now.

Bummer about the anemone. The Tank should clear in not more then 24 hours.
    Rob

Everything is now okay. My black leopard wrasse is out and happy and the anemone seems to be coming around. All of the fish seem to love the new set-up with the swimming space. My yellow tang is the calmest I have seen it in a long time.