Thread: id this snail

id this snail

i picked up this snail at lfs for 2.99$ ,was told that it is crown conch,but when i got it home and he came outit didnt look like conch to me.
    any idea of what it might be
    It's not a hobby,it's an obsession.

Conch can be difficult to ID...but that does appear to look a little like a Crown. You should do a search on this site for a thread posted by Sara who had a crown conch...if I remember correctly it turned out to be a predator and had to be removed.

Keep an eye on that fella...then again, maybe it's not a crown.
    Keep passing the open windows!

That does look similar to the one I had. The foot lookd disturbingly familiar. Has it crawled up the glass yet?

I assume as you bought a crown conch you are aware that they are a snail eater, but I'll repeat this for people who have not seen my earlier horror story. A good sized one can eat 3-4 grazing (ie astrea) snails every 2-3 days. They are not algae eaters.

Since my first dealing with these conches, I have seen them in lfs in tanks with snails, staff having no clue what they actually are. Buyer beware.

I have attached a photo of (formerly) my hungry beast.

Sara

Sorry, didn't work the first time.

That's an astrea he's wrapped around.

yes it was up on a glass, it is under sand now,
    I guess he is off to mantis tank
    here is one more picture,
    can you confirm it is the one
    It's not a hobby,it's an obsession.

That little "leg" thing it's got has exactly the same markings as mine did. I believe he's in a puffer tank now. If you have any nassarius snails, it's probably munching on them now. In the four days I had mine, it ate 5 astreas and unknown nassarius. I'd put it in your mantis tank, or take it back to the lfs and explain that they didn't sell you the proper snail. According to Dr Ron at reefcentral, they came make great additions to predator tanks or species only tanks.

As I said before, most lfs don't know what they carry. In a lot of cases, the stock comes mislabelled, so the store itself cannot be blamed. Most people know conches to be wonderfull cleaners, so the don't expect a killer.

Here's a link to my original post, and some large photos of mine as it tries to uncurl itself from it's lunch. This may help in your identification. I'd definitely remove it from your tank asap.

http://www.aquariacanada.com/forums/...&threadid=3542

Hope this helps.
    Sara

I think in this situation they did label it correctly...they told you it was a crown and it sure looks like one. You might want to ask them why they sold you a predatory snail without telling you about it's preferred menu - but basically it is buyer beware.

You should isolate him before he follows his natural tendancies and a few of his tank mates start to disappear.
    Keep passing the open windows!

In this situation, yes it was sold correctly. In mine, the stock was mislabelled (as a strawberry conch), and therefore the situation was remedied asap. But you are correct. Buyer Beware.