time for a big change

Well my reef has been up and running now for about 5 years and never been disturbed. I have decided to change out the substrate from the existing crushed coral to the fine white sand. (Not a DSB just about 3 inches...DSB is in the refugium). Here's what I'm going to do.
    - I have started up a 65 gallon drilled system and will be taking the water from my 90 and putting it int he 65.
    - I'll place any rock with coral on it into the 65 along with all livestock.
    - The remaining rock will go in a second 40 gallon holding tank with the same tank water.
    - I will then take the water down to just above the old crushed coral saving as much old water as possible.
    - Once the 90 is cleaned, scraped, and new sand added, the rock without corals will be added. I will placing some of the old crushed coral that is overflowing with life in a strainer and simply placing it in the tank to assist with seeding the new sand. The refugium will be untouched also helping seed the new sand.
    _ I'm not anticipating too much of a cycle problem with 120 pounds of old live rock and a 40 gallon refugium in the system. I'll keep you all posted as it goes.
    Might even have pics.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Sounds like a good plan. It should work well for ya...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!