Thread: acro placement

acro placement

i just got a bunch of acro's from Ivan yesterday. i placed them all on the sand bed for a day so that they can ajust to my lighting. and tonite a placed them. my question is how close can 2 acros be before it is consided too close??

I'd put at least 6" between them. More if possible. You have to consider growth. Acros don't really sting across distances but they grow and fill in the spaces pretty quickly.
    Susan

i have alot of sps touching eventually they "get the point and a dead area forms and neither seem to continue the fight, however i have seen hydros kill and entire colony of divicarta, montis attacking other montis ect... susan hit it on the head allow 6 inches of space, remember sps encrust to solidify there area and to allow support so they can branch out and grow... hth

what about monti cap's, i have too that are fused to the rock pretty close to each other, i wasn't sure if i should be worried or not, they dont' appear to have the capacity to attack one another
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

i have a green cap and a purple that have intertwined, the plates grow around eachothers. coral warefare is awsome... for the most part montis are weak so they grow around a obstruction rather than through it

Fishmonger,
    Sometimes corals in the same family get along rather well and Monti Caps are one of those. I, along with many others actually group different colored ones together on purpose for them to intertwine and you get the nicest look visually this way. As SPSaddict mentioned, they will grow into each other and the color mix that ensues is really nice once you have given them time to grow many new plates. For what it's worth, try to place them low enough so that you can view them somewhat from the top and sides as this gives the nicest look. Also, while they don't exactly need the highest of lighting to survive, the more light you give them, the faster they will grow and the more intense and pretty the coloring will be ( and I think it's safe to say that is what we'd all like the most). Even under 400 watters, they can never have too much light.

I have an acro growing inside my monti cap - would that be a problem? the frag must have fallen in there at one point as is attached.
    Albert
    My Photos

Alrha,
    Nah..., the only thing that might eventually happen is that the Monti will grow up a bit and encrust the acro. If the acro is docile enough, it'll get encrusted higher & higher, but usually acros are strong enough to keep the Monti in it's place...., at least that has been my experience up till now. You'll end up getting a nice floral arrangement with them most probably.