Thread: Sand Storm

Sand Storm

I just switched over my substrate from crushed coral to fine sand (after almost 5 years of thinking of it). Anyhow, As expected I have a white sand storm but will hope the bacteria gets to work and the sand settles. The process is going great so far as I have set up a 65 gallon to hold all the corals and livestock and they can stay in there for a few days I think. I used the old water in the 65 to keep them in to reduce shock.

I now have the 90 half full of old water, combined with some new salt water. My question is....

I had to place a large rock back into the 90 that has hairy mushrooms on it. The rock is too big to hold in the 65 with the other corals, and my other holding tank is full of LR. Sump is also full. Will the sandstorm harm the mushrooms. I have heard of people having these sandstorms when adding sand with corals in the tank with no ill affects.

Any input would be appreciated
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Mushrooms should be fine... just make sure that they don't get buried in the sand.

Mushrooms can survive about anything...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

It's only been an hour and it's clearing already....maybe I'll be lucky on this one. I used the BOMIX sand this time. When I used southdown on my other tank it was cloudy for over a week. We'll see
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

I had a huge sandstorm in mine as well (u can see a pic of what it looked like in my other thread). I ran an emporer on it, and it all cleared up overnight.
    I dont think you can kill a mushroom if you wanted to, mine take so much abuse and could care less.
    Albert
    My Photos