Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: disaster

disaster

well i did it this morning i woke -up to see the basement flooded yesterday i forgot to turn off the topof water and this morning the sump was full of of water and the salinity was at 1.010 all the shrimps was dead and all the snails alls the cucumbers dead i ad a nice yellow one ,a pink one ,all the tiger tail al dead
    the softies wont make it and i dont think the sps will make it , all the fish seem fine
    i drain some water and slowlly i am raising the salinity

maybe its time to make a fish only tank?

Harley

You still have to top off a fish only tank. I saw your tank last week and you were making some nice improvements, and had lots some nice corals. I know it's a pain in the @ss right now. Wednesday I did the same damn thing. My specific gravity only dropped from 1.024 to 1.021, and I didn't loose anything. But, I did have a flood as the sump I have overflowed. I have water damage on the oak on my stand, carpet, and even some of the water has soaked into my drywall, and is blistering that.

You're not alone. Both your overflow and mine were human error. We all have setbacks every now and then, and over the past thirty years, I have had my share. I hope you keep with it.

P.S. With my system, when I am making top off water, I need to take the pump out of the fresh water resevoir to prevent a possibility of water siphoning through to the sump. (I wrote this here so I can drill it inot my head so I don't make the same mistake next month.)

Really sorry to hear about this Harley. Same thing almost happened to me this week too - bad ball valve and auto top off went nuts. I was lucky to have caught it before it got too bad, it only dumped in 2 gallons of fresh but if I hadn't checked that night I would have woken up to the same thing.

This kind of thing is why my new tank will have no sump. Just too much room for trouble.
    Susan

the whorse part is i made this sump myself and i dint put any overflow drain this would ad prevent the flood but not the lost of all corals and inverts

An overflow drain in the sump? I haven't seen that in all the research I did. We'll have to talk again before you start building my sump.

that really sucks bud.seems everyone lately is getting nailed.
    I never have the RO/DI setup to my tank but to a seperate garbage can. That way if I forget when filling the topoff it will just flood the floor. I only fill it up half way as well in case the float switch ever freaks out. I know lots of people like to super automate things but I feel its best to keep it as simple as possible. hope things bounce back

Terribly sorry to hear the bad news. Hope you get things back on track soon.
    Nick

ijo
    I always forget to turn the RO/DI unit off aswell... I havent yet automated the tank and currently throw a 5 gallon bucket in the sink... no floods but a lot of lifting.

Hang in there Harley...

IJO

i fill up a 5gallon bottle in my sink and then pour it into a garbage can for a reservoir. I then have a container next to my sump i keep full for top-off. its a big pain, but after hearing these kinds of stories, it worth it. if i forget the RO/DI on, it just overflows in the sink, and the most my tank can be diluted by fresh water is just the 5 gallons or so i have next to the sump.
    i am very paranoid about floods, especially when i have 220 gallons of water sitting in my living room, so i always prefer to be safe than sorry.
    you didnt have some sort of float valve/switch for your top-off water to prevent this?
    Albert
    My Photos

BUMMER!

It was a bad day for me, too. I got home after work to discover all my fish on the bottom, gasping. All the corals were closed up as well. Turns out that my pH was ACIDIC! and my KH was 25!

I poured in alkaline buffer, as much as I had, in three separate batches, spaced an hour apart. The pH came back into the alkaline range, so I did a 15% water change as well.

The fish are back swimming around - although I haven't spotted the small Blue Tang, yet. All the corals appear OK, as well.

I suspect that the problem was with the calcium reactor that I'm using. I think that somehow, CO2 gas was being introduced before mixing thoroughly with the water and A.R.M., or being introduced too fast.

Needless to say, I've shut it down and won't be adding any calcium for a while, until it's back down to the 8-12 KH range.

Hell of a scare, and a bad day for at least two saltwater enthusiasts.
    Man cannot live on bread alone --
    He must also have his peanut butter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast