Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disaster

Angry Disaster

fug,frick,frack.#$@%&^*
    I was wondering why I was loosing a frag here and there lately[around 6 now] when I noticed I'm infested with red bugs now!!! what next!! Nothing I can do as I'm leaving tonight for MERXICO. looks like goodbye to what corals I had left. anyone know how I can get the interceptor everyone is using and how to use it? I'll check back in 2 weeks. Very fed up and tempted to go FISH ONLY.

I think quarantine of all new introductions to the tank is going to be a new way of life for a lot of people. I too have red bugs, and I will be doing my first treatment with Interceptor in the morning. I have always wanted to put my specimens in the tank right as soon as I get them, but over the years, not quarantining has cause more headache then anything. For all the time it takes I think I'm going to start doing it, cause reef tanks are to much fun to let a few problem change my mind. Johnny It's a small bump in the road, don't worry to much I've had reb bugs for over 2 weeks and all my corals are still fine. Enjoy your holiday and I'll let you know how my treatment turned out.

thanks GOOLS cheers.

ijo
    Johnny... I have had many conversations with clients who have/had these red bugs and I find these little guys will be more of a problem then flatworms. I have yet to see one of these bugs myself but plan on dosing all new corals as they arrive in hopes to lessen the chances of infecting our systems.

Acclimating corals used to take a couple hours... they will now take 6(the time needed for interceptor to work). I feel every new coral should get dosed for both flatworms and red bugs before adding them to your system and fish should be QT'ed. The money we spend in this hobby is easily in the thousands... a little precaution now will definately save you a ton of headaches in the future.

Even with this precaution there is no garantee our systems will not get these red bugs, flatworms, velvet...etc but at least it will lessen the chances. There is very little know about how these red bugs reproduce or how the eggs are effected from the treatment. You can get the medication from your local vet but not all will sell it to you without a blood test as its intended for dogs. Ask for the 51-100 pound dog treatment.

I really hope other retail outlets join the fight against these parasites... 6 hours acclimating is a small price to pay for a happy coral and potentialy happy client in the long term.

Here is a link to a thread that I found helpful... http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45859

IJO

i am currently doing reaserch with this problem, now redbugs infest only certain sepecies of sps, staghorns come to mind... they have never been proven as a killer of sps, they will irritate them and the sps will not have the polyp extensio that a non infected will have.
    as far as a cure goes, i have always used lougols dip on all sps i get in i have never had any red bugs, i have over 55 varieties of sps in my home tank and over 100 at school... hth

I have had the red bugs for several monthes. I find that they will, given anough time, kill the coral. Most of the time they just stress it out so it won't expand and looses it's colour, but when an sps is stressed, it is just that much more prone to a secondary infection.
    I have done ONE interceptor treatment (as per the instructions on reefs.org) and it did not eradicate the bugs. It did kill 90% of my hermit crabs and all of the acropora crabs living in my colonies. It didn't kill my emerald crabs. This leads me to believe that the dosage isn't quite high enough- If you don't kill all of the larger organisms in the same family as the red bugs, then there is an excellent change you didn't get all of the red bugs...
    I am going to dose again at a slightly higher dosage and will leave the medication for 24 hours, And then I will dose again in a week as the reefs.org treatment suggests- I'm hoping I won't have to do a third treatment with this method.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Reefmutt I think you need to do all 3 treatments to help kill the red bugs at everystage. from what I've read not all bugs are killed after the first treatment, but the second treatment preety much geta them all and the third does the final round up. But I agree that the 6 hours doesn't seem long enough, I'm going to try for around 10, but I'll keep a close eye on my system and see what's happenin.

Is there any way to treat these bugs without killing off everything in the fuge. I have a big fuge that has nothing but sand, macro, and tons of critters.

I would hate to kill all of that stuff off if I didn't have to. I could isolate the fuge easily, but I assume the bugs travel everywhere.

I have unhooked my fuge from my main tank. With out acro's the bugs can't last longer then a week. But on the safe side I'm going to leave it off for a month, I'll just run it on a seperate filter, pretending it's a different tank and in a month or so I'll hook it back up.

Good idea on the fuge. Sorry to hijack the thread. Maybe Johnny will find all of this useful when he gets back from vacation:angel:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast