Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock Rubble

Rock Rubble

What would you guys think of this to use as my filtration in my sump/refugium? Wouldnt that be better than just a couple of large pieces of Live rock? i feel like i can fit a lot more of this in there. i could probably squeeze close to 50lbs of this stuff (which is about two 5-gallon buckets worth)

Link:
    http://www.reeferrocks.com/ornamentals/fragplugs.htm
    Albert
    My Photos

I really like the look of that limestone rubble for a fuge. it's got lots of irregularities and it looks very porous. it would be excellent for bugs to live in and algea to adhere to. In no time, it would be nice live rock rubble. I'd think about getting some myself...Although, you could probably just go the your friendly reef shop and they would probably sell you a bunch of their rubble from a live rock holding tank...it would be the same thing, I think..
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

wouldnt be able to get 50 lbs from my LFS and wouldnt be near $1/lb
    Albert
    My Photos

Good point...I think it's good stuff- go for it!!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

the rocks came in today and look great. i already put in 70 lbs and placed an order for another 30lbs to total 100lbs. it also help block the air bubbles for getting all the way through the sump from the drain to the bulkhead.

Question:
    Is it possible for a rock to be too small, to have too much current, or to have too much oxygen that it will not denitrify and end up just producing nitrates? because some of the rocks are quite small and i dont know if they have to be a certain size to have anaerobic interiors. also i have rocks by the drain where there is a very stong flow (1200gph crashing down) which helps break up the flow, but i am worried too that the tons of flow along with high oxygen (all micro bubbles) might also prevent the interior from denitrifying.
    anybody have any insight here?
    Albert
    My Photos

anyone know?
    Albert
    My Photos

I only use rubble in my refugium. I have about 40 pounds worth. I used base orck which quickly seeded and is now full of life. My mangrove roots are all inter-twined through out the rock and the macro grows all through it also. There are lots of dark crevices for critters. I also like the look. I have a 4 inch sandbed and about half inch of crushed coral then about an inch of 2 inch rubble and larger 3 inch stuff on top. In total there is about 8 inches of rubble over a 4 inch sandbed. Works great
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

With that much rock being used you don't have to worry. The rock like you said will break up the flow but you'll have more than enough surface area in calm spots and low flow areas to do the job. With that much rock you won't have any problems.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Could the water erode the rock?
    Adam

oops, hit the wrong button, Ment to add, how long will it take before all that's left is 'dust'. 1200 GPH can be a lot of water to constantly pound away at one spot.
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast