Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

I feel stupid... I can't get my tank through the cycle..

My sad story continues...

I can't get my tank through it's cycle... It's been 25 days since I set it up again, and I'm still seeing .2 ammonia in the tank!!

How can that be????

I've had a chromis and some margarita snails living in there for the passed 2 weeks... and a turbo's been in there for 4 days now as well.. Wouldn't the snails have perished?

My nitrites are 0, and my nitrates are 10...

25 days is only 3 1/2 weeks. It can take alot longer then that to read zero. My buddies tank has been setup for over five weeks and he is still registering a bit.
    Daniel
    M.A.S.K.
    Marine Aquarium Society of Kitchener
    www.maskcanada.org

I guess it could be...

although I had established rock.... I guess I felt it should have been through faster.

However, being that the tank crashed, all rules are out the window at this point.

Thanks Daniel for your insight though...
    It is appreciated.

Gee, I thought I read you couldn't get your tank through the DOOR!, so I was going to offer the use of my chainsaw...

What test kit are you using? If its not a high-end like a salifert, I'd be suspisious.

Maybe some water changes.
    Also, in my fry tanks, I sometimes get ammounia before the spinge filter gets a chance to kick in, so I lower the ph with vinegar. That decreases the toxicity of NH4 and gets the biological filtration a chance to catch up.

Not the test kits... I used 3 different ones, (2 different brands Aquarium Systems, and Seachem, and Seachem Ammonia-Alert)

Tang Man:

What is the latest update on the cycle? I still have the frags I promised you.

Cheers.

Hey there Bristleworm!!

Looks like I'm finally getting through it

I'm gonna give it another week to be sure.

Hair algae has died off almost completely. cyano is also dying off as well.
    I've had a chromis in there since July 17th, and a mass of snails for the passed week or so, and everyone's happy.

I did a 10 gallon waterchange yesterday, cleaned out the skimmer cup, etc... The tank is getting there

I'd like to wait another week or so before adding anything else, which ties in perfectly with the next MASO meeting

Maybe, if all looks good with my tank by then, I could take those wonderful frags off you.
    Once again, I can't thank you, and the rest enough for all your help and support through this ordeal. I don't think I'd still be looking at a reef next to me if it wasn't for all of you...

ijo
    Hey tang_man... I'm trying to decide what corals to give you for your new tank. I wouldn't want to give you something your not really interested in. It would help if you could give me/us a few hints.

IJO

Wow...

I'm sitting here, looking at my screen, speechless. I honestly can't thank everyone enough. You are all the most kind and giving people I have met in a long time. You are all what this hobby is about. I only hope one day to be able to repay all your kindness.

With my new tank setup, I was leaning on going towards a mainly LPS/SPS tank, with a couple of softies, ricordias, and zoo's here and there...

I think I will stay away from xenia for now....

Again... thank you all!

Hey IJO, you still have to charge him tax!! :guns: :biggrinbo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast