Is this even possible???

Ok, I am new, but this is freaking me out.

Today I wake up and see that I have a brand new peppermint shrimp same size as my other one. approx. 1-2inch. It was fully shaped and had all the markings and feet, but inside the shell it was empty (it had no internal stuff). Since it was dead, I took it out of the water.

For the last few weeks, in a corner of my tank there has been a think carpet like purple substance and today it looks busted open.

Is it even possible, that my one on only shrimp layed an egg and it hatched. Then died?

Can anyone come up with other possiblities?

Shrimps mot regularly. What you saw was just a molt or shell. Shrimps do breed in tanks but it takes 2. Their eggs almost never hatch because they are food for so much else. After a molt a shrimp new shell is soft and vulnerable so they often hide for a few days until it toughens up.

The carpet of purple stuff is probably cyano bacteria, quite common in new tanks. I'd siphon it out.
    Susan

Learn something new everyday! Thanks for the info.

hehe. i thought the same thing the first time i saw my shrimp molt.
    Albert
    My Photos

So did I. I did all kinds of research and knew about the molting thing but when I saw the first one I couldn't believe that a molt could look that much like a live shrimp!

PS - having two shrimps is great for a tank. They are both sexes and one will impregnate the other so that both can carry eggs. The eggs they release are great food for corals and other small critters in the tank. Also, having more than one makes them a bit more brave so you see them more often.
    Susan

Whew.. I was feeling pretty embarrssed... glad I'm not the only one hehehe....

When they do molt, should I be removing the old shell or do other things eat it?
    90 Gal - 48x18x24
    Coralife 2x250W 10K MH 2x96W True Actinic
    Coralife Super Skimmer (Needle Wheel) 220
    TOM PS4 Filter with Auto Top-off
    2 x Maxi-Jet 900 Power Heads

100 LBS Live Rock
    1 Six Line Wrasse
    1 Blue Chromis
    1 African Red Starfish
    8 Black Turbo Snails
    1 Red Hermit, 1 Halloween Hermit, 15 Blue Leg Hermits
    Aquasafe RO/DI 100GPH

kooma - you don't ever need to feel embarassed here. This is a hobby where many strange things happen and even the most experienced get surprised at times. At this point science knows more about Mars than they do about our own oceans. As reefkeepers we're trying to replicate the most complicated eco-system there is in our little glass boxes. Mysteries abound!

I always remove the moults if I see them but often they shed them behind the rocks and there have been many I've missed. Doesn't seem to cause any problems.
    Susan

that's for sure Flame ... Kooma .. you will learn the ins and outs of keeping a marine aquarium faster and with better support by asking lots of questions.
    Rob

Kooma,
    I have read that you can simply leave the empty skins in the tank and "apparantly" they will sometimes even chew on it to regain some calcium ( don't know if this is actually true however). I personally never bother taking them out, they get consumed by the various cleanup critters.

I think we all have been through this one,,,,I bought a Blood shrimp, it was the first expensive additions to my tank, well the next day he was floating around the sand at the front of the tank....I thought my Brittle star ate him,,,I was so....pissed....then a couple days later after his new shell hardened he came out from hiding....K I'm like whats going on here,,am I crazy or what...