Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I Bought The Dead sea

Sound like a stupid move but was a good deal. Smart move we teasted system for traces of copper before we dismantaled system, no copper present also checked guys water to find out water prims PH:8.6,Ammonia:0.6,Phosphates2.5, Nitrates:0,Nitries:0,Calcium:non existant.
    Tank was a mess hair algea 6" long could not see the rock, snails all dead hermits dead, not even a bistle worm.
    Started taking system down, WOW guess what we found? A poor little Clarki Clown still swimming.It's now in my nano and very happy still a bit thin but eating well hugery little guy.
    Now to my question how do we get the rest of the algea off the live rock(I mean dead rock. lol). Should we place it in bucket and recycle it in high saltinaty water or scrub it with a hard brush or soak it in a vinegar water solution?
    Right now the rock is in a large rubbermaid tub with salt water, power head and heater, with lid on.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    First,
    I would double check those test results and make sure that the tests aren't expired. Those readings are strange.

If the tank is overgrown with hair algae, it's been neglected, and should have gone through it's cycle already. That said, There should be some detectable Nitrates.
    The ammonia level indicates that there's something decomposing in there. Food, dead things, or otherwise.
    As for the Calcium level... definately double check that one. There must be SOME level of calcium in there.

I would start off with a large water change in the are of 50% to 75% of the water.

As for the rock, I doubt it's "dead". Make another small batch of saltwater, scrub the rock in the "old" water with a toothbrush, and rinse it in a different container with the new batch of water you made.

Whatever you do, don't use a water vinegar solution, you'll just kill what little life is left there.

You havn't indicated what size tank this is...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Bleach the rock and then dry it in natural STRONG SUNLIGHT (good luck this year) for a few days. Then rinse it ... and rinse it ... until there is NO bleach smell and you will be OK. Works every time for me when the rock is TRULY dead. HOWEVER .. you might be surprised at what will spring back to life when conditions are in their favor, Give it a light brushing and use it as it is.
    Rob

I'd just use vinegar, to be safe, i'd be petrified that traces of bleach would leach out down the road,
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

Mark,
    Bleach is perfectly safe to use for cleaning and many, many people use it.
    Chlorine gas dissipates very quickly into the air when it is left out in the open. If you soak the rock in it till it's completely clean, then rinse it out very well, all you have to do is let the rock sit out in the air for awhile until you don't smell any trace of bleach anymore.

Tang man test kits are new not expired this tank had been neglected for some time we were amazed to find a live clown in there it was very nasty to even look at .(poor little clown)We bought the tank so we could use the live rock in our main system 125 gal. After seeing the tank we decided to drain it completely and put new salt water in the tank 75 gal once we got it home.We cleaned the 75 completely which was a large chore it self. Added fresh salt water today don't know if we should wait a bit before putting the rock back in or not.
    ALL POSTS & REPLIES ARE IMO

Hardware:
    180 gal. Reeftank 2hole drilled
    70gal long sump with fuge,
    EuroReef ES8-3 skimmer,
    Reeftek reactor, sms122 ph/CO2 controller,
    Mag 18 return closed loop return.
    Mag 24 return
    Icecap dual175 20k MH, 250 20k MH center, 2 actinic, 2 -actinic white VHOs
    Livestock:
    1 Pajama cardinal, Lawnmower blenny, Sohal tang , Regal tang, 10 Clams, Scooter blennie, Yellow wrasse, DESJARDIN TANG (SAIL FIN),2 percs

I don't see the point in bleaching the rocks, They are definetly still 'alive' so some degree. Scrub them down --well-- and then make sure you have appropriate algea eaters in the new tank. Once they get into a tank with stable and good water parameters, they should be fine. You may want to give the tank a couple of weeks all running, but in the dark, without any livestock and then do some tests for water quality. If all is good, away you go. It'll be like a little curing process.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Don't bleach the rocks or they will be dead base rock. Place them in a large rubbermaid garbage can with a powerhead or two and leave them in the dark for a couple weeks. Algae will die and rocks stay alive. Place a lid loosely on the top but not tight just to keep it very dark. I did this once with bad hair algae rocks and it died and never came back. Left them in the dark for a month.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Just wanted to make my point of view a little clearer..., I too am not advocating bleaching the rocks, I believe if you give them a good home ( the rocks that is...) they'll grow up to be fine outstanding citizens!! But.., let them stay living in that nuclear wasteland they were living in and they'll grow up to be nasty!!:
    In my previous post, I was just answering mark's hesitance about bleaching.
    I agree with reefmutt and Mouse to save the rocks and get them back on their feet.

the tank was taken down cleaned out new saltwater. pumps and skimmer on no sand in the tank . the rock is in rubber made container in saltwater, heater , powerhead with lid set on it, rock was scrubbed before it was put in . we are asking if there is anything else we should do before we put it in the tank for cycling .
    ALL POSTS & REPLIES ARE IMO

Hardware:
    180 gal. Reeftank 2hole drilled
    70gal long sump with fuge,
    EuroReef ES8-3 skimmer,
    Reeftek reactor, sms122 ph/CO2 controller,
    Mag 18 return closed loop return.
    Mag 24 return
    Icecap dual175 20k MH, 250 20k MH center, 2 actinic, 2 -actinic white VHOs
    Livestock:
    1 Pajama cardinal, Lawnmower blenny, Sohal tang , Regal tang, 10 Clams, Scooter blennie, Yellow wrasse, DESJARDIN TANG (SAIL FIN),2 percs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast