Thread: red slime algea

red slime algea

I had aproblem with red slime in my tank for a couple of months remove it by when I doe my water change every week the problem seems to going away slowjy but I heard useing red slime remover works very well it is also an antibiotic it will remove it only for a period of time then come back what else is outthere antbiotics effect other livestock in the tankc

Red slime remover does work but as any actions create a reaction. By removing the red slime, it will produce toxins that is not very good for your corals. The best way will be to suck it up. Maybe i am wrong, many people on the site will be able to tell you much more
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

hey, i had once a bigtime problem with red slime, i have dosed with red slime remover, and it did what it says it would do , for a few months, then it came back, i found and others might agree, that i used to feed frozen foods almost everyday, and i was using tap water treated with seachems prime, and running phos gaurd in my sump, but this didn't stop it, i have now switched to a aquasafe ro unit( 100 bucks can't go wrong) and i did a series of 10% water changes sucking up all the slime i could see, i did this for five days, now i don't know if its luck , but i haven't had any major issur since, i used ro water, do monthly 10-15% water changes and only feed frozen 1-2 per week, rest is ocean nutriton flakes, i would skip the red slime remover just get to the source. thats my 2 cents

Frank,
    As I told you when you were at my place, Red Slime remover DOES work and it works VERY well. BUT!!!!! You have to know what is the cause of the slime and fix that first, otherwise as I had said and you mentioned above, it will just come right back. No it doesn't produce toxins and it will not affect a single other thing in your tank. It should only be removed once you've singled out the cause ( which is usually excess nutrients..., or put another way, you're filter system is not working up to par perhaps and you are not exporting as much nutrients as is being put in your tank).

"Cyanobacteria form in shallow, warm, slow-moving or still water. They are made up of cells, which can house poisons called cyanobacterial toxins. A mass of cyanobacteria in a body of water is called a bloom. [...]Cyanobacterial toxins are the naturally produced poisons stored in the cells of certain species of cyanobacteria. These toxins fall into various categories. Some are known to attack the liver (hepatotoxins) or the nervous system (neurotoxins); others simply irritate the skin. These toxins are usually released into water when the cells rupture or die." I dont know if the toxins affects the corals exactly but it does produce toxins.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hecs-sesc/wat...reen_algae.htm

Maybe having more GPH from your powerheads can help...
    Make sure the position of the powerhead are well put.
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI