Water Changes for FOWLR

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering how often and how much water do you change in your FOWLR tanks.

Thank you
    Terry

Water change time schedule will depend on the bio load in the tank and what other methods are in use to control water quality. If the tank is carrying a heavy load with a simple setup then 10% per week is a good idea. If the tank is carrying a light load and is well equipped then 10 % a month may be enough. However one should remember that water changes are the best way to maintain good water quality in any tank at any bio load level.
    Rob

I agree with OSD on this one. Water changes are one of the best way to keep healthy water conditions.

I feed my reef tank very heavily and although I have a great skimmer I feel it's the weekly 20% water changes that keeps my tank in good condition.

I'm in the process of setting up a 300g FOWLR and plan to do the same - 20% every week. In this tank I'm planning to have much larger fish so that means even more food and even more waste. I'll also have a 6' skimmer and an Eheim canister filter but I know it's the water changes that will make the biggest impact on the water quality.
    Susan

Agree...depends on your set up (skimmer, sump, etc)...bio load, how heavy you feed...and how much you like playing with your tank. I like to do smaller weekly changes but then my wife says I have a tank fetish!!
    35Gal mixed Reef with light fish load. 250W MH, Jebo Skimmer,

100Gal FOWLR- Heavy fish load and a few soft corals.