Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Achilles Tang - Acanthurus achilles

I passed by my LFS just to see what he had in stock, and there was a beautiful Achilles in there. I had no intention originally of stocking one, as i was planing on a Sohal for my tank, but i found this fish to be so elegant, almost ready to attend a black-tie event. I must now of course cross the Sohal tang off the list as they are both Acanthuridae and will likely fight to the death (but at least the achilles is less agressive and will probably cause less problems in the long-run). My current Red-Sea Sailfin of over a year hasnt been the most hospitable of hosts thus far introducing him to his new tankmates, but the achilles made it clear that he has rights too and did not run to a corner and hide, so that to me is a good sign that he is healthy and confident. I'm sure with time they will learn to be the best of friends - after all, they dont have much of a choice in the matter. While tangs are of course reef-safe, i was surprised to see that the popular book "Marine Fishes - a PoecketExpert Guide" by Scott Michael states (regarding this fish, and some other tangs as well) that "If underfed, an occasional individual may nip at large-polyped stony corals." I have never known of a tang that would nip at corals.
    Anyone else here have this beauty of a fish? (I think greg has one) any special secrets about them?
    Albert
    My Photos

this fish is my favorite, i will have one in my 210... they get to be 18" in length and are possibly the most beautiful fish out there.... you madea wonderful choice, WE WANT PICS

It is beautiful, and it doesnt even seem to have a downside (personality-wise). "Marine Fishes" says the max size is 9.4" - but i guess we can worry about it when it gets there, how fast do fish grow?
    I will have to post some pics of him/her.
    Albert
    My Photos

Wow - congratulations Alrha, these are amazing fish! Can't wait to see the pics. I think this is definitely a better choice than a sohal.

I wouldn't worry about the warning in Scott Michael's book. If severly underfed humans have been known to eat belts and even their own wastes. I'm sure you don't intend to starve this beautiful fish in your new tank.
    Susan

I saw many Achilles Tangs while snorkeling in Hawaii (a place called "Captain Cook's Monument"). The variety of animals (fish and corals) in Hawaii is probably not as diverse as other places because it's relatively recent (1 million years old) and so isolated, but it's still a beautiful place to snorkel. Especially for Tangs...

I saw all sorts of tangs, moray eels, corals (encrusting), Moorish Idols, groupers, triggers, puffers, trumpet.

BTW, I suggest to all refers to go see the real thing (snorkeling or scuba diving). I am always surprised by the size of these fish in the wild. There's nothing like swimming with hundreds of yellow tangs. Such a wonderful experience. You'll appreciate your own reef more than ever.
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

here he is....
    Albert
    My Photos

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    :thumb:
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

A BEAUT!!!!!

Wow - I wouldn't have been able to pass him up either. That guy needs a special name. He's gorgeous!
    Susan

I didnt name any of my fish yet, but i think i will have to.
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast