ich free for 3 months, but ...

So I brought home a royal gramma a little over 3 months ago and it showed a few white spots right away and was scratching itself. My 2 o. clowns and a yellow wrasse never showed signed of ich. The white spots on the RG would come and go for for a few weeks (which I understand is how the ich cycle works). I also have a cleaner shrimp. Anyways, I fed it well, used Vita-Chem on the food, did WCs...finally, after a few weeks, no more white spots and scratching. It will be 3 months next week that I have not seen any symptom whatsoever and I have never seen anything on the other fish.

So my question is:
    Is the ich still in my tank and continuing its cycle but just not showing symptoms?? Or did I somehow get rid of it completely. Of course, now that I just posted, it will probably come out attack. What do you guys think?
    thanks.
    thien

Well technically you didn't treat the tank for the ich. If you don't use something to get rid of it, you have to let the tank go fallow for a few weeks to end it's life-cycle. Your current fish could have built up an immunity to it.
    Or the cleaner shrimp took care of it before it could spread from the RG.
    Or it wasn't ich and it was something else.

Are you asking because you want to add another fish? If so you'll just have to do it and be ready to treat if it shows up again. If you're just wondering if it's gone or not, then don't worry. Just keep an eye on the tank for further outbreaks.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

Cool. Not planning on adding fish. I never saw the cleaner shrimp "clean" anything except food! I am pretty sure it was ich though....the little white spots, the constant scratching...could it be anything else?

Because if I understand the cycle correctly, newly hatched ich need a fish host to attach to in order to survive. So if I do indeed have ich, that would mean that ich is attaching to my fish, but not showing itself, then falling off, breed, then attaching again, etc....So what I want to know is if my fish are immune to it, can it still serve as host and continue the ich cycle or have they in effect stop the ich cycle but not allowing the ich to attach...
    thanks.
    thien