Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone using natural salt water?

Im looking to get schooled on the use of natural salt water in aquarium coral reefs. Any input is apreciated.

ijo
    there are a group of reefers in eastern Canada that are going this route... I think its a great idea and wish we could get our hands on it.

IJO

Im going to start using it soon. I suspect corals will like it. I wonder about calcium consumption and if it will be posible to replenish all trace elements by doing many water changes and weather it will be efficient? Living 2 minutes from the beach.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

I use NSW and love it. The price is right! I use two spots to collect it, the best is the one that a local keeper told me about. Crystal clear and tests perfect. Your tank will be the better for it! I ran the usual tests when I first collected it, pH, nitrite, nitrate, amnonia, CA, Alk, SG. All tested fine with the exception of the CA, it was a little low.

I use it and my corals love it. I think it's because all the trace elements are there in their proper quantities.
    Susan

I have been using it for some time now. Like xerces said the price is right. I find it best to collect water at almost high tide and not on a day with any rain. The only problem is in the winter. The spot I collect from doesn't ice up but is very very cold. Try to get a large container for storage. I usually collect on a Monday or Tuesday, store the water with a power head and air stone for circulation, and do a water change on Sunday. It is very easy, two trips and I have 60gal.

Thanks for responding.
    Acording to what Ive heard from Xerces and Flame the only thing is the CA is a bit low. None of you guys list that you are using a calcium reactor.

What are your tricks to boost calcium and how often do you change water in your tanks? Im not sure about this but I think Reefmutt once told me that it didnt matter to have 380 for calcium but it was important to maintain it this way and to not alow it to go down. Maybe if you can maintain calcium at a minimum of 380 then your ok without a calcium reactor? I definatly plan to experiment with this. Do you guys have many sps in your tanks?
    Thanks again.

I use a calcium reactor and a kalkwasser reactor but I still add a bit of Turbo Calc and buffer to new water before using it. My tank is pretty much all sps and clams.
    Susan

Flame,How often do you change water?

I do a 20% water change once a week. This is more than most people but I also feed very heavily. I make up for it by using a powerful skimmer and doing lots of water changes.

To be honest I haven't found that the water changes help with the calcium levels. The tank just uses it up too fast. I add a full tablespoon of kalkwasser to my kalk reactor every morning and run my calcium reactor full time. This keeps my tank's calcium level up over 460 which seems to keep the SPS and clams happy.
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast