Any luck with LongNose Butterfly in a reef?

Hi,

I am planning on getting a longnose butterfly for my tank, I know they need to be kept with caution in a reef, but would like to know if someone has had them in their reef successfully.

I will be building a bigger tank in the basement this year, but in the meantime will he be fine in a 72 gallon.

Thanks

Venki

hi i have had one in my reef for 4 weeks, i the day he ate evey last featherduster worm, next i seen him nipping at the sps, back to the lfs for him, i would use very much caution!
    corey

I'm planning to get one for the new tank I'm setting up. I've done a fair bit of research, they're about the same as a copperband in a reef. Mostly safe if you feed well but will eat smaller feather dusters.
    Susan

A friend was getting out of the hobby, had a 6" for 75.00 couldn't resist. Will be a bit tough in a 72 gallon bowfront, but hopefully, I can keep him alive till I setup my bigger tank.

I dont have too many SPS, and don't plan to add a whole lot before the move.

Thanks for all the info.

Venki

I had one in a reef for about a year. No problem. It was a great fish.

Hi,

I got him yesterday, he managed the 6 hour drive and was eating well. He goes through a cube of brine or mysis by himself in under three minutes. So I am feeding a cube of brine and one cube of mysis every morning. It is all gone in under three minutes, I know it is bit of overfeeding.

He hasn't bothered any of my corals, the yellow tang is following him wherever he goes, and tries to bully him at times, but he is doing ok. May be they'll become buddies someday.

Is there anyway of identifying their origin Hawai or Indo Pacific?

Meanwhile my flame hawk if forming a symbiotic relationship with the LTA, I hope he doesn't end up being food. He sleeps next to the anemone at night, and stay perched on the rock just above the tentacles all day long.

Venki

That's not overfeeding at all. Butterflyfish have VERY fast metabolisms and need to eat quite regularly. I'd be feeding him at least 3 times a day. Skip the brine shrimp though, no nutritional value. Mysis is great but I'd get some variety in there - maybe some mega marine angel (sponge), bloodworms, finely chopped scallop and shrimp.

Nutrition and small regular feedings is the trick to keep butterflyfish.
    Susan

I have some krill, may be i'll try feeding him some chopped up krill tonight.

ON a side note is there any technique to feeding Nori to the tang, I used the reefcentral tip and stuck it between my magnets, they remained there for over 6 hours so I released it and cleaner shrimps devoured it within minutes.

Venki

Venki

Venki,
    Leave the Nori there. As long as it is not deteriorating, it's fine. It sometimes takes the Tangs a little while before they realize it's food for them. They're probably cautious of the new magnet in there. However, once they taste it, they will grab it from your hands before you even place it in the tank!!!