Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

metal halide lamps

I install a metal halide lamp for about one year of service how long do these lamps last 150 watt 10 k and flourescent lamps how long before replacing

If its been close to a year the lamp is likely ready to be replaced. Depending on the bulb you can expect between 9 and 12 months of service. The quality of the light is what fades with time along with the intensity.
    Rob

DAN
    Hey Frank
    Thanks for the explanation on the MH wireing ! IT worked
    out great lights are up & working .
    Thanks Again
    Around Here I Have a Verry Responsible Position
    .....every time somthing goes wrong
    I'M RESPONSIBLE!!

I change my flourescent lamps about every 6-8 months, and same with my PC bulbs.
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Frank,
    It depends on the Kelvin rating of the bulb and between brands. Usually the higher the K rating ( bluer) the shorter the lifespan. For instance, my last Radiums were completely shot at around 5 months. I've since switched to XM bulbs to test. With what you have in your tank, you haven't done much damage at 12 months, but if you had SPS stuff, you would have had to change them out quite awhile ago. Actinic flourescants should be every 6 months max.

My experience with XM bulbs

I'd be interested to hear more about your experience with the XM bulbs. I have an IceCap 250watt ballast and purchased the XM250 bulbs from Premium Aquatics. I had to replace the bulb not once but twice as they both failed within the first 3 weeks of operation. These bulbs are definitely cheaper (made in China) but .... you get what you pay for. I am now running a Usiho (German) thanks to the generous free upgrade from the folks at Premium Aquatics and have had two months (so far) of worry-free operation. Here is a pic of the failed bulb. Notice that the usual 'silvery' coating at the base of the bulb went grey. They both did the same thing. Seems they lost their seal.

I personally am starting to wondering if there is not basically one or two manufacturers of all those different brands of MH bulbs, similar to there basically being only one or two manufacturers that make all the flourescant bulbs, only they put the different brand labels on them. I say this because there seems to be a flood of ALL brands of bulbs going bad quite fast or being defective. I have not had any bad luck with them yet. I know ReefMutt had 1 go bad on him.., I think.

I agree :-) There is likely only a few (2 or 3) major volume manufacturers of bulbs and they make the bulbs to the specs and standards that are given to them by whom ever will label them. It is obvious that some specs and standards are better then others. It would be the same as for carpet under pad. There are only a few mills in all of Canada and they make every brand out there.
    Rob

I have 3-400 watt XM bulbs run on PFO standard ballasts. They are very bright and nice crisp white in color. I also have a 250 watt XM bulb run on a PFO standard ballast and it is very yellow in color not very attractive at all!

I wonder why this is? They are all brand new. Do you think there is something wrong with the 250 watt bulb, or will it change to a crisp white color after it burns in?

Keep in mind all 4 bulbs where ordered from the same place and at the same time. They have no more than 4 hours on them. I have only turned them on to see what they looked like. (tank is not set up yet). Should I send the light back?
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

I may be wrong but I am sure I read somewhere that you are suppose to run the bulbs for a manufacturers designated number of hours on the first fire up to start the burn in process. The bulbs color output and intensity will change once it's burned in.
    Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast