Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Methods used to control water in overflow filter systems?

I was doing some reading as research for my upcoming tank upgrade just now on the net and it got me wondering about what other methods people use to control their waterflow when it comes to a setup where the tank would be on one floor and the filter/sump system on another as in the basement. My present system is setup like this and so will my next bigger one. At present, everything is working fine and I'm happy with it. But I was curious to know what other people do to stop the churning/skimming effect that happens when the water falls greater distances and to silence the nosie caused by this suction. Right now, I'm using a Durso standpipe in my overflow anf I have Spaflex going down to the sump where it empties underwater into a section that traps all the bubbles with 2 baffles before entering the main section of the sump.
    Flame Angel,
    I know for instance that you have a similar setup and I'm curious if you have changed anything and how it's currently set up.
    Anyone else set up this way.., and what do you do?

My setup is similar. The display tank is on the main level and sump/equipment is in the basement. My tank is displayed higher from the floor than most at 47.5” to the bottom of the tank. The total head height is around 15 feet.

I don’t have any noise from the overflows. The tank has two 2” bulkheads with 2” Durso standpipes. Just at the bulkhead the pipe is reduced to 1.5” diameter. I recall reading somewhere that a reduction in diameter at the bottom of the stand pipe can make a big difference in reducing noise.

When the two 1.5” drains get to the sump they empty into a filter/bubble trap that I made out of acrylic. It is a box 18”L X 4 Ύ”W X 20”H. The water enters on the left and has to travel under a bubble trap. The right chamber is the same size as an AquaClear 500 filter so I can use the sponge and carbon. Once the water flows through any media in this compartment it goes down a ramp into the sump.

Before I made the filter/bubble trap the drain emptied into an IO salt bucket. I found that since it was round it did not slow the water down much and did not work as well as I wanted.

In this picture there is Chemi Pure in the filter chamber.

Sorry, forgot the pic....

I'm planning on getting the same setup. Can you not just put valves on the drains that way you can control the bigger flow cause by the height?
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Conan,

Restricting a drain is a big no-no. It could/will eventually get clogged up and cause a flood.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

well, it's a good thing Touche decided to start this thread!!!
    Andrew, how many G is your tank?

The tank is 90 gal, sump 50 gal, refugium 50 gal. In the picture the two pipes on the left are from the tank. The one on the right side is from the refugium.

Conan,
    Yes, as Tang geek mentioned, using valves give a place for anything that can potentially go down the drain to jam/catch and cause a block/FLOOD!!!!!! It is a cheap, quick way of fixing the problem that many people are tempted to do, but a potentially dangerous one best not used. As the wise cop in the Flinstones once said..., " Play a hot piano and you'll burn your fingers"!
    I'm starting to think the trick is to keep the ratio of water to air very small. What I mean is if you have 1 drain pipe with lots of water going down it, obviously the air mixing in and chuening on it's way down will cause noise, but if you have 2 drains such as Andrew has, then there is much less water in each given drain and in a sense, it probably just slides down the inner walls of the tube much smoother because of the lack of much churning.
    Andrew,
    My setup is about 15 feet of travel too, if not a couple more even since I redid the sump which is now lower than before ( I'll have to do an exact measurement again). Did you experiment with the difference between the exiting water to bw above the waterline and below it as you currently have it? ANy difference? I ask because when the pipe is stuck in the water, it creates a backpressure on the water exiting and this in turn causes the erupting effect that the water does. If it exits above the water or if you poke an anti-siphon type small hole in the pipe just above the wtaerline, it usually is somewhat smoother flowing.
    Just wanted to add from reading your vry last post. Does the main sump dso any more filtering or is it jus a volume type thing? I ask because if it does have a skimmer in there or something, you should move the drain from your refuge nearer to the main return pump. You want the critters from your refuge to be as close to the return as possible so that anymore filtering doesn't remove any of them.

and if I have 2 drains using only overflow boxes in each corner, will it make alot more noise than stand pipes?

Originally posted by AndrewNS
    Just at the bulkhead the pipe is reduced to 1.5” diameter. I recall reading somewhere that a reduction in diameter at the bottom of the stand pipe can make a big difference in reducing noise.
    Isn't this like restricting the flow? I don't see the difference between this and a valve....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast