Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: humidity

humidity

just wondering how you guys control humidity in the fish room
    or if you even have to deal with it i noticed some very small vapour streaks on the upper wall near the tank i should mention that i am in the basement and its cooler down hear.
    should i just run the dehumidifyer or install a bathroon vent in the ceiling to pull out the damp air
    winter is around the corner and i know that cold exterior walls and high humidity cause water to form then mold will eventually grow

just looking for ideas
    thx orion

CAT
    I would definitely go with a de-humidifier in the basement. Too much damage otherwise, especially with a tank in there.
    Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.

photo gallery: http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/showgallery.php?ppuser=424

Some solutions include:
    - dehumdifier: this adds heat to the room, causing a slight increase in humidity, but a good first choice.

- air conditioning: cools the air so decreases humidity. Also dries the air. Basically an air-conditioner is just a humidifyer witht he hot end outside.

- Air exchanger with heat capture and humidity control. I have one of these and it works well. Stil need to vent it outside.

- dry water:

would a dehumidifier not evaporate more water from the tank? i lose about 1.5 gal a day now..

the fish room is about 13x12 with windows to the out side plus a door to section off the room would a 50 cfm exhaust fan help with the moisture or should i stick with the dehumidifier
    thanks
    for your help need to solve this soon
    i once removed all the basement dry wall in a house that was 2 yrs old due to mold from humid conditions dont want to repeat that again EVER

eeeeek... that sucks. yeah I have to do something about humidity too. I have the AC on too much right now just to keep the humidity in the basement below 70% (relative to 19-20C).

If heat isn't an issue, and you don't want evaporation, cover things to prevent evap. I'm not sure I can do that. So I might have to either seal the basement, and then vent the canopy to the outside by using bathroom fan venting type stuff from home depot.

I might also build a plastic sheet room around my sump, etc. Pain in the ass though..

I could also seal everything, and use a chiller to maintain a lower temperature and prevent evaporation as much as possible.

One expense over another I guess. Build a room, or ventilation system, or A/C, or chiller, etc. Which is cheapest/best? Dunno.
    Fishysan ><>
    ---
    180g display main floor, 150g trough, 75g, 20g in basement
    SPS, LPS, softies, many clams & 14 fish
    main: 250w AB DE HQI x 3, 5' x 3 VHO actinic - trough: 400w venki

Hey richard, do you have an HRVC just for the fishroom?

I find it wild that you have no humidity problems, you've got to have more open surface area than I do.. maybe.

An HRVC is only useful in the winter here though, as the hot air outside is just as humid, if not more so.
    Fishysan ><>
    ---

fishysan
    you say venting the hood to the out side with a bathroom fan.
    this is somthing i allso thought of my sump is below the main tank i would like to vent both. my thought is that there was no humid conditions before the tank so by ducting both areas to the outside directly it should have good results at lowering the dampness any ideas on how one would set this up?
    should i install the fan in the floor joists above the tank and have it suck the air by ductwork out of the canopy and sump compartment

thx orion

one thing i would like to keep the area clean and looking less like a science experiment that got out of hand:biggrinbo
    any ideas on creative ductwork hehe

My HVAC is for the whole house. I extended a basement air-exchange intake vent to the fish room.

My normal humidity in the fishroom in the summer is 60%. Lately its been going up to 70% because of the rain. In winter it goes down to 45%. I have a bathroom vent in the fishroom but its sealed right now. I was meant to be a darkroom exhaut vent before i converted to a fishroom. I'm also running a fan to get more air moving. And when I find time, I'm covering tanks up with glass as much as possible.

Venting raw ait to the outside is ok in the summer but you'll be venting heated air in the winter. Thats $ out the window. Although its probably less needed in the winter due to the naturally dryer air. You can buy a free-standing air exchanger at rona (the new bright blue ones) for about 500$

The worst thing you can do at this point is not doing anything. If you've got the bathroom vent hooked up, use it (24hrs a day!). Make sure you don't vent into the attic. Also make sure your outside vent isn't hidden away in a soffet - the natural movement of air through the roof will draw it into the attic.

Using a dehumdifier might increase the evaporation in your tank by a bit - that just gives you more opportunaty to add limewater, whcih you can never add too much of. You can probably control the humidifier to give you 60% humidity, which won't suck your tank dry.

Cheers...

orion, I haven't looked into what I need to do exactly, or need from HD. But there's no reason you can't vent both the sump(stand bottom) and the hood via ductwork (flex stuff for dryers even) up and out.. you need to insulate the ductwork too when it's in the attic getting close to outside, else you will have condensation problems. What richard said too.

Richard;

Can you explain the "extended air-exchange intake vent to..."

What's the ambient room temperature when the fishroom's 60% in the summer? That's cool, I've been at 60%, but hitting 70% of late as well, at around 19-21 deg C.

I'm worried about winter, of course I can turn up the HRVC.. or maybe plumb into it?

Thanks for the soffet tip, I was going to put the vent in the wall, like six feet maybe below the soffet in the wall above my garage roof.

I suck at this part right now, so I need to get this fixed up for sure.

Thanks!
    Fishysan ><>
    ---

as most of you know I will be building[buying] a large tank for the basement. I will be using moister proof drywall in a sealed fishroom. I will just install 2 ceiling vents that will be hooked up to the dryer vent. I will also cover my sump and that should be good.You maybe sucking out warm air in the winter but lets look at it this way, the warm air going out will be mostly created from the MH lights and pumps from the tank.apperently if you also run the fan on auto your hvac[heating cooling system] this will help alot as it will spread the air through out the house making all things equal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast